Should I keep my Apple Keyboard with number-pad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by raysfan81, Dec 31, 2009.

1. raysfan81 macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

I just went to the apple store the other day and picked up the usb keyboard with number-pad for $50. I haven't opened it yet and am just wondering if I should keep it or try to find another alternative. I mean, I like the way it looks, feels, and functions in the store but I'm not sure of the $50 investment in a keyboard. Thanks for any input!

2. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Best keyboard ever, imo. I love the key action and how thin it is (makes it easier on the wrists, I've found).

Your milage may vary...

3. u6crash macrumors member

u6crash

I know what you mean, but I like mine. $50 seems pretty steep for a keyboard, but somehow I justified it at the time. What I don't understand is why they are phasing out the wired keyboards with the number pads in favor of the wireless ones without in on the iMacs. Do that many people have a need for a wireless keyboard? I use the number pad all the time. I'm lost on my laptop when I don't have it.

4. raysfan81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

Thanks, I thought I might be the only one who likes wired keyboards over wireless ones. I love the number pad and use it frequently. Now I can see the benefits of a wireless mouse but not for a wireless keyboard.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

It depends on what you use it for and what you're used to - I'm absolutely hopeless with a numpad so it has no value to me. I also like to move my keyboard around as I shift in my chair and a wireless keyboard works well with the ants in my pants. I'm happy to be in Apple's camp on this one, but as someone who detests the glossy screens, I can feel your minority pain :p.

6. pyroza macrumors regular

IBM Model M is quite easily the best keyboard ever.

7. zorahk macrumors 6502

happy hacking keyboard> ibm model m

8. epiphany macrumors regular

How ever would you type in lots of receipts into Quicken without the numberpad?

9. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Those are the keyboards on the registers at my work. I can type really fast (or at least it seems like it) on those keyboards. I like the clicky noise too. lol

10. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

you should overnight it to me! :rolleyes::cool:

imho, the apple keyboards are a lot nicer/better in function/form then regular keyboards... a lot better on my wrists then my Logitech G11, but YMMV...

11. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Believe me when I tell you that $50 is cheap for a keyboard you really like. If you are interested in really educating yourself on keyboards, check out the URL in my sig.

12. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

I'm in 2 minds about the wireless and wired, the solution i see is for apple to make a wireless numberpad keyboard, our keyboard downstairs is wired and I always bring it up here for when I am doing things on excel, but then when I'm writing or browsing the web, wireless is just the way to go[​IMG] but back to your point, $50 is definately not expensive for what you are getting, they are such nice keyboards

13. mdjasrie macrumors member

I use the number pad frequently for data entry as well on excel. So i dont think i would personally make the switch to wireless, since it does not have the number pad.

Nonetheless, the apple keyboard is a fantastic buy. I can type much faster than other generic keyboards out there. The flat and streamline body looks really slick and its sturdier than it looks.

14. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Low travel scissor switches are good for your hand/wrist health as well. You can tap lightly which is much better than the trauma of jamming your fingers, full force, to the bottom of a full travel rubber dome keyboard.

15. weckart macrumors 68040

If you dual boot with Windows or want to use it on a PC then the small keyboard variant is pretty much useless as it lacks a Del key.

Rotten keyboard to type at length on and I seem to miss-hit keys with it more than any other I have used, so I am waiting for a Logitech wireless keyboard to arrive in a couple of days after which this keyboard is going in the back of the cupboard.

16. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I also love the Apple keyboard, and also wish they hasn't omitted the numberpad on the wireless ones. Sure, it makes the keyboard smaller and more sleek, but the numberpad is useful, darn it.

17. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

If you are worried about the cost, pick one up off of craiglist or ebay. They seem to be going for less than 30 last time I checked.

18. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I love mine. I believe that $50 is actually very reasonable for a well-built keyboard such as this.

19. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

If you despise it so much, why not sell it in the marketplace?

Personally, I find cheap rubber dome keyboards appalling to type on. There are some decent tactile wireless keyboards available that would be much better.

20. raysfan81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

Could it be user error...

21. bkspero macrumors regular

Check out this keyboard

I was in a similar position and found a Rocketfish bluetooth keyboard on eBay that has been great. Thin (not as thin as the Apple chicklet keyboard, but nearly so), number pad, long battery life, excellent key feel, and the aluminum/white design doesn't look out of place with the current Mac lineup. There are a few listed on eBay now for about $30. They show up periodically as new, open box for about $20. That's what I bought.

Here's a link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rocketfish-Blue...mQQptZPCA_Mice_Trackballs?hash=item2c526ddf83

22. raysfan81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

well, I finally opened it and i love it! Thanks for all the comments/advice/opinions! :D