Should I keep my iPad 2 if I get an iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Shadyriley, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Shadyriley macrumors 6502

My friend says that he would never use an ipad since he has an iphone 4, says it does more than the iPad. Doesnt see the point in having "a big iphone that can't make calls" or "a big iPod touch". I have been dealing with a palm pixi the past year and a half and I have had the iPad since Mid july. I have a white macbook also. What do you think?

2. Svend macrumors member

Do you use the iPad?

3. Shadyriley thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah all the time. For words with friends, other apps and browsing the web. I pretty much stopped using my macbook once I got the ipad

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

This continues to be a frequently reoccuring topic. Should I keep my iPad if I'm getting an iPhone? Or vice versa. Because I see them as very different devices, this makes no sense to me. I have both, use each of them for what they were designed for.

That said the only remaining reason I can imagine influencing such a topic is if one cannot afford both. If that's the case, then some very serious thought needs to go into your decision making.

5. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

First off, the Ipad (and Ipod Touch 4g) does make telephone calls using Google Voice and Talkatone apps, both are free. And you can use Skype if you want video calls. I use Google Voice and Talkatone all the time and it works great.

You can also sign up (free) for Magic number - from the makers of MagicJack. I use that one also and it works flawlessly.

6. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

Should I keep my iPad 2 if I get an iPhone 4S?

Absolutely.

7. rulers macrumors newbie

8. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Did you use your existing mobile number or request a new number?

9. urkel macrumors 68030

Sounds like things you will also be doing on the 4S.

I absolutely love my iPad, but I do admit that ever since the 4S came out on my carrier then I've used the iPad much much less because the iPhone is always at my side. Even some apps that offer a superior iPad experience I prefer on the iPhone so when those times come that I need a bigger device I'm reaching more for the MacBook than the iPad.

That said, I'm not ditching my iPa but if I ever needed quick cash I could see myself selling it. It's still useful but its not as important to me as it used to be. And one thing I noticed also is that I'm definitely in no rush for the iPad 3 anymore.

10. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

I barely touch my iPhone 4s once I get home. It may be how new the iPad is, but I really don't like surfing, doing emails, reading forums, playing games on the iPhone anymore. Well once I am home and have access to both.

11. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

+1

The iPad completely replaced a MacBook Pro for casual/travel/around-the-house computing.
    Huddling around a 3.5" screen for a few hours at night would drive me crazy after the novelty wore off.
    You need both. :)

12. HERO XXL macrumors regular

Personally, I simply use my phone more because of its portability & easier access. Both of the devices are used on a regular basis, but I tend to use the phone a bit more only due to this reason.

13. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

You're definitely not going to pick up an iPhone to browse the web or play a video when an iPad is sitting right there. It still has use.

14. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I agree, I have an iPhone 3G, iPad 2 and a MBP and use all at different times for different tasks.

What I have noticed, is that since I bought the iPad, I rarely use the iPhone for playing games or most other apps. I just use my phone on the go, and do my gaming at home on the iPad. So, while I wanted a new iPhone 4S, I definitely don't need it as much, now I have an alternative at home with a bigger screen.

That said, if I had to get rid of one, it would have to be the iPad. I need a laptop, and a phone; the iPad while it's fun to use, and useful; it's not yet essential.

15. Shadyriley thread starter macrumors 6502

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes. I use my iPad all of the time as it is my couch surfer.

17. aggieastrosfan macrumors member

"big iPhone that can't make calls" "big iPod touch". All I can do is laugh at these statements, because that was me. I thought the iPad was the biggest joke Apple had ever introduced, and laughed at all the "suckers" buying into Apple because it was Apple. What a worthless product. I've had an iPod touch since 2009, and got my first iPhone earlier this year with the Verizon launch. Why did I need an iPad?

Yeah, you know how this story ends, I somehow ended up with one. And it never leaves my side. I have the wifi version, but I tether with my phone on the bus to and from work.

Between catching up on Words with Friends, updating finances (it's about freaking time, Mint!), responding to emails, and taking notes at work, it's my first choice for ANYTHING - the only thing I really use my laptop for at this point is Quicken (which I'm trying to migrate to Mint, if they'd ever finally implement the features I need), photo/video/document backup, and to update Mint via the website since I can't use the full site functionality on my iPad. And I have completely eliminated paper notebooks at work - I carry my iPad with me everywhere, so all of my notes are finally easily searchable and attainable.

Again, different for every person, depending on needs. But for me, I LOVE my iPad. Love, love, love, LOVE it. I will never be without one again.

18. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

19. JustMapIt macrumors newbie

I view the iPhone and iPad as complimentary, not competing, devices.

Both devices offer very similar functionality - for me an almost 90% overlap in apps. However, the iPad is a much easier device to use from a human interface perspective.

The iPhone 4 is in my pocket all the time and serves as my 100% mobile computing platform. If I'm called out to a quick meeting and forget to grab my iPad then I just fall back to the iPhone. If I'm out doing inspections on construction or utility sites and I need both hands free for other tasks I take the iPhone. The ability to 'reach-back' to my office via 3G is critical.

On the negative, while the iPhone screen offers superb resolution and clarity it is just too small for many serious work tasks and the device lacks the processor 'oomph' needed to run many applications effectively. It is at this point that I turn to the iPad.

My iPhone also serves one very important function in relation to the iPad. I absolutely refuse to pay a wireless carrier any more money just to get a lousy 3G signal. My iPhone is configured to serve as a hot spot, and that feature has turned out to be extremely useful on a number of occasions when I've had my iPad in the field and needed to use it in the connected mode. The iPhone hot spot feature (I use AT&T (spit)) has proven a lifesaver on a number of occasions for use with other wi-fi enabled devices like my laptop, other iPads and some of the android tablets that are starting to show up in our office (GASP! Fair warning guys and gals - they are pretty good devices, particularly the Galaxy Tab series.). When I upgrade my iPhone to either the 4S (not likely) or the 5 (more likely) that offers true 4G speeds then my iPad 2 will have 4G access at no additional cost.

So I guess I've rambled my way back to my opening sentence. From a business perspective both devices compliment each other and I can make a compelling argument to keep and use both.