Should I keep my iPhone 4G pre-order?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tgarson, Jun 17, 2010.

  1. tgarson macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    #1
    So here's the deal, I've had one of each generation of iPhone since launch. I had the original (side note, still my favorite aesthetically), upgraded to 3G, lost my 3G snowboarding (white phone + snow = bad), then bought a 3GS off of ebay.

    My contract end date is from when I finally caved in and got the iPhone 3G (when we actually got 3G service in my area) in Jan of 2009, so my contract end date is Jan of 2011. I still qualified for iPhone 4 upgrade and pre-ordered using the AT&T Premier site with not a ton of difficulty, got it in the morning, got confirmation email, can check my order status, the whole deal.

    It goes without saying I like the iPhone, my 32gb iPhone 4 would literally be my 4th in 4 years. But I'm getting really freaking tired of AT&T, still with the dropped calls, weak reception at work, etc. I've really just reached the point where the thought of another 2 years with them is almost too much to bare.

    I'm very seriously considering cancelling my iPhone 4 pre-order and just riding out my contract on my 3GS then seeing what the market looks like. Is this a dumb idea? Given the demand for iPhone 4's do you think there would be any market to just get my iPhone 4, then sell it for my cost + my ETF? I'm really not looking to make a profit here, I'd be happy with just breaking even and being out of my AT&T contract.
     
  2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

    iphone1105

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2009
    #2
    Make your own choices. Do what you must. Its up to you.

    Basically, just do what you have to, why do we have to convince you?
     
  3. richard371 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    #3
    Hang on to your preorder. once you cancel it and change your mind you are looking at July 14. People would kill to have a preorder now. You have 30 days to return it. Try it out you may find better reception etc. Worst case is you return it, pay restock free and they should reverse you contract extension one would think but don't " me on that.

    You can also do the option you mentioned.


     
  4. beebo87 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    #4
    if you're so sick of AT&T's service this is what I would do. get your iphone 4 and extend your contract. sell your iphone 4 on ebay or cragislist or whatever. you'll make a pretty penny. if u want to opt out of AT&T's service after that pay for the ETF with the money u made off the iphone 4. you'll probably still have some extra laying over. after that you still have your 3gs. keep it. unlock it. move to a new carrier. you'll still be using ur beloved iphone. it just wont be the newest model. if u want to use another phone u can sell ur 3gs and make even more money. its really up to u.
     
  5. tgarson thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    #5
    You certainly are under no obligation to convince me of anything, nor even respond for that matter. I'm merely expressing an internalized debate with people who are probably a lot more understanding of my dilemma, no matter how trivial it is, rather than any one else I've asked who just simply regurgitate something to the effect of "omgz ANDROID, FLASH will change everyth1ng!!!". Certainly not that I wouldn't consider Android, but it grows very tiring talking to people who have no idea why they hate Apple and love Android so much, they just sure do know that they do.

    I'd say I'm so back and forth on this because it's about 50% I'm tired of AT&T and I'm kind of sad to admit that it's like 50% that I've had an iPhone since 2007 and even though I have very few complaints about the phone or software itself, it's just becoming harder for me to get excited about. I think I've just gotten bored of the iPhone.

    I want the iPhone 4 to change that, I want it to really feel fresh and new and pique my interest again, but I was on the fence about what my options were if I did get it, decide that it just didn't do it for me. But as you guys pointed out, I could always sell it, or return it for the restock fee.

    Question though, if you return and pay the restock, do you get out of the 2-year contract extension?
     

Share This Page