Should I keep my Mac Book Pro or my Imac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ides of March, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Ides of March macrumors newbie

Well I have a Mac Book Pro, its a couple years old, and it has the faster speed in it which I got upgraded when I bought it. I also have an Imac, which is about a year old, the entry level one for 1899 or whatever. Anyway the ex missus wants one of them, she is moving into an apartment and I am staying in my house but don't know which one to keep. I am a musician and like writing which is why I bought my MB Pro. I believe you can upgrade the memory for the Pro but not the Imac which is good. I mean we would have to erase and restart both to clear them if we switched. But I like my Pro, but I like the big screen of the Imac. Which would you give up.

2. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

For music production, I would take the iMac anyday over a laptop, unless you need the capability of mobile performance or DJing with the laptop. Working with Reason, Ableton, Logic, or Cubase is a better experience on a larger display, as far as I see it. The iMac also has an audio input port which can be invaluable from a recording standpoint.

3. Ides of March thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that's what I wanted to pro for. When I got the Imac it was for the same reason but the missus laptop fritzed out so she told me to get this and she would get the pro. Technically I bought both of them but since she is splitting she doesn't want to buy another laptop she wants my pro. I do like the bigger screen of the Imac, plus I put Lion on it as well. But I wasn't sure because of the option of not being able to upgrade any memory on the Imac and being able to on the pro. I plan on using garageband for recording at first, but I really don't know how to use it yet. And no I don't DJ, so that isn't an option for me.

4. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

I assume telling her to buy her own toys isn't an option?

5. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

As stated above if mobility is not an issue keep the iMac. You've stated that you enjoy the larger screen of the iMac which I assume is useful in your musical endeavors.

BTW, you can upgrade the memory on the iMac rather easily. Check out the DIY installation videos for the 2009 -2011 models on the lower left of the page in this link.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac

6. Ides of March thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I actually did tell her to buy her own laptop, but she wants the Apple, and all her pics, songs, and things are on it. I really didn't want to part with the macbook pro to be honest. But having both is kinda selfish innit?

----------

Oh so it can be done. Thanks so much. yeah mobility will not be an issue considering the dining room and living room will be bare cause she is taking the furniture. My studio is in my basement which is where the Imac is. And to be honest I don't put much time in on it cause I don't want to be in the basement all the time working on things. I used to have it in the dining room where the MB Pro is, and oddly enough everyone started using the Imac insead of the Pro. But it's only a monitor to move so I will resign it to the family room of the house. I guess if I need a laptop I can always buy another one, but it won't be an apple unfortunately. Too expensive now.

7. bogatyr macrumors 65816

If you paid for both of them? No it isn't selfish. Look, it if was towels or something low cost, whatever if the ex wants to take them. However any large purchases ($1000+) belong to the person who paid for them. If you didn't split the cost, why split the electronics?

8. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

No offense but you sound like a bit of a pushover unless you didn't pay for them.

In any case, I'd prefer the newer iMac.

9. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Keep them both, be a man. You bought them, they are yours. She is gone from your life so she can't keep telling you what to do and demanding your things.

10. JamesP. macrumors regular

Id burn off the music and photos to cd or move them to USB stick for her.
    Personally I'd keep both, you will probably regret it later on, or immediately after handing it over.

If that's not an option you could always keep your MBP and hook it up to large screen whenever you want. Least then you would have both portable + large screen.

I don't think I could chose if it was me :eek:

11. stevelam macrumors 65816

Keep both. If shes your ex and isn't legally entitled to anything, don't give her any of it.

12. Ides of March thread starter macrumors newbie

13. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

good choice.

14. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

It's amazing that it took a bunch of unknowns on a forum to convince you of it, but more power to you now! Good choice.

15. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

Glad to hear that you're keeping both. Update us with how that goes. Good luck, and make sure there's plenty of chocolate on hand in case she goes all Hulk on you. It's like some type of anti-venom for women.