Should I keep my new 2016 13" MacBook Pro or return it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by saintforlife, Jan 12, 2017.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

I got a new 2016 13" MacBook Pro with touch bar (2.9 GHz, 512 GB Flash, 8 GB RAM) recently. It was an impulse purchase since there was a momentary pricing error on Amazon (there was a thread here on that) and the laptop was listed at $1499 instead of $1999 which is the true price. So I got a $500 discount, which was more like $360 once you include the taxes. Amazon honored the price like they did for many people in that original thread. I am loving the machine and it is blazing fast and a solid machine.

Before I got this machine, I had a 2010 MacBook Air that is on its last legs and the base Surface Pro 4 (with the Core M3 processor). Although the SP4 is great, sometimes its lappability leaves a lot to be desired. If I sell the Air and the SP4, I might get $800 between the two, if I am lucky. $600-$700 might be more likely. That means I am still out $800 if I decide to keep the new MacBook Pro.

I really have no preference with respect to OS. I am equally comfortable with both macOS and Windows. Also I can always use Boot Camp and load Windows 10 on the Mac if I need to run Windows for some reason.

What would you guys do? Keep the new MacBook Pro or return it and stick with the SP4 and MacBook Air for a couple more years? I only use my laptop for watching videos, surfing the internet and using MS Office.

2. SJTrance macrumors member

You bought a compute that you're very happy with for a crazy and unheard of discount. Now you want to return it? I'm not understanding your issue. What exactly can we help you with? Sorry to sound rude but you do understand the absurdity of your question, right? This sounds like so many of the other questions here lately. It's a personal decision and in no way can be answered by someone else.

3. Maurier macrumors regular

Get the base macbook 12 inch. You save more money and keep the PS4.
    For your use the macbook is the perfect laptop.

PS
    It's also the best looking laptop from Apple imho.
    Don't return the 13 inch just sale it and make a profit on it.

4. saintforlife, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017

saintforlife thread starter macrumors 6502a

I understand how the question might sound to others. Basically I am asking whether the new MacBook Pro is a good replacement for the two computers I have today (Surface Pro 4 + MacBook Air) if I had to pay $800 for it. I have already mentioned how I use my personal computer in my OP, so you know I am not a power user by any stretch of the imagination.

I really wasn't planning on buying a computer this year, but that Amazon deal was too good to pass up. Now I am trying to rationalize my decision.

5. mag2001 macrumors 6502

I would keep it just because the screen is better than the MacBook Air.

6. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

And better than the rMB.

7. kattskrall macrumors regular

Well the important thing is what YOU think...

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Well you say you love it it is more powerful and future proofed compared to the other two you can put Windows on boot camp. By all your own words it seems perfect for you especially with the price you paid. So what's the question again??

9. an3s macrumors newbie

Sell the others and keep the mbp. Otherwise you might end up buying a new one in a year of two since the air is somewhat old.

10. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Since you got a huge, very rare discount you should 100% keep it.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Here's what I took from your post:

You love the MBP, your MBA is on its way out, and your SP4 is not what you want it to be. I think you already answered your question - keep the MBP, sell the others to help offset the already discounted MBP.

Think of it this way, what will you get instead of the MBP? Clearly you cannot continue with the MBA, and you don't think the SP4 is fitting your needs. I'd say keep what you have and enjoy it :)