Should I keep my old HDD or sell it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Synergie, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Synergie macrumors 6502a

I just changed out the 320 GB HDD I had my MBP and upgraded to the 500 GB Momentus XT hybrid.

Should I try and get a few bucks back from the old HDD or keep it? I am thinking maybe keep it because I lost my snow leopard install disk and I can keep the old HDD as a back up if this one ever dies. I could just swap out the drives, the old HDD already has Lion installed - then just run my restore to get my files all up to date from the latest backup on Time Machine, then I could just clone it again to a new drive.

I'm thinking the old drive is probably not worth much anyway??

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I would just keep it. You aren't going to get a lot of $$ for it anyways. If you want I guess you could put it on ebay, but I doubt it would sell. I would just keep it just in case you need a backup HDD at some point.

If you want, you could buy an enclosure for it like this one, and use it as an external HD, but it's up to you.

3. Synergie thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't need an external HDD now especially since I have more internal HDD space. (Plus I have a 1 TB Time Capsule too) But If I wanted to store anything on it directly for safe keeping, I can just pop it in the hard drive dock... which is basically an enclosure that doesn't 'enclose' the hard drive so you can pop them in and out easily.

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yeah well then I would just keep it around.. It can at least keep you up and running while you find a replacement if something fails.

5. duk macrumors regular

I agree with the previous poster as well, just get an enclosure, they cost 5 bucks! it'll be like a "hard drive dock" that you can easily take with you (something your prob not likely to do with your time capsule either). And you can also plug it into the back of your time capsule in the meantime for even more added space.