Should I keep my PBook G4?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by imyrpc, Sep 26, 2010.

1. imyrpc macrumors newbie

Hi,

New here, so thanks for your patience in advance:).

I am relatively new to the World of the Mac, but pretty well acquainted with computers and laptops in particular. I recently picked up a 12" Powerbook G4 for a nice price online (under $200US). It has the fastest processor that was made for it I believe (1.5Ghz) and 1.25Ghz RAM, so it is nice and quick, and I figured it would make an excellent training tool to learn on, which it has done well so far. My question is that recently I've seen some refurbished MacBooks in the under $500 range on a couple of websites and I'm wondering how much better the MacBooks are if you are NOT interested in dual booting into windows with them as I have plenty of Windows hardware to use. Obviously the processors are faster though to get a Core 2 bumps up the price a bit, but the graphics are all integrated whereas I've got a dedicated graphics card and I'm also thinking the build quality/materials might not be as good. Sorry for the ramblings just trying to make a good decision whether to fork over the money and get rid of the G4 (A macbook pro is a little out of my budget).
    Thanks Again

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

It's a great machine. Keep it and use it and enjoy it.

Then at some point, upgrade to a Mac with a Core 2 Duo (not a Core Duo), i5 or i7. That will let you run the latest OS X and software that requires Intel. Jam in as much RAM as you can afford in any case.

At this stage of the game you have nothing to lose by using your current machine for a while. Just keep in mind that repair parts are becoming hard to find, so you may come to a point where the machine is at the end of its useful life and isn't worth repairing.

3. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

That 12" model was very popular, and regardless of whether (or when, I would think) you decide to upgrade, you might find it useful as a second computer.

Personally I would keep it. I still have my PB G4 17". Even though I use my iMac for everything at home (and an Asus hackbook running Leopard for travelling, since the 17" is so big), I still occasionally find reason to drag out the PB.

4. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

I would keep the PB as well. The Macbook will could probably do everything you do on your PB now, but to spend a couple hundred dollars extra to do the same thing kinda blows. Use it till it dies, then I would swap up to a MBP (or a MB if you feel a MBP is too much for what you do on the Mac side of things).

5. nzlucas macrumors member

I am still using my PB 12' right now!!! It is a little under powered for CS 3 since i only have 768mb ram. Beware the toshiba HDD in it though as mine died recently. I managed to take it apart thanks to iFixit and install an even bigger samsung one for £40. Batteries are the main thing though. I have two batteries and 1 i get under an hr with now, the other 1.5hrs. really only use it on power now.

For web surfing, mail, iphoto, even basic iweb its great. i find Garageband the screen too small and iMovie and iDVD its under powered.

My advice, keep it, install leopard on it (spaces is worth it as is preview function). When i finally upgrade i may use it as a server or do something funky like try and install linux or something.

Cheers

6. SnoFlo macrumors regular

SnoFlo

My 17" G4 1.5 remains my portable 6 years after purchase. Fabulous machine. Keep it, I say.

7. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I should also add to what I posted earlier that my husband still uses the 12" he bought in 2005. He's completely happy with it, despite my trying to convince him to upgrade :p. The machine has been on more or less constantly the entire time, with no problems, and suits his needs fine.