Should i keep my sim free iPhone 4 or go contract!??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMoo, Jun 17, 2010.

1. iMoo macrumors regular

iMoo

Well i thought at the time getting th iPhone 4 sim-free was a good idea and would save me money. So heres what i did:-

Sim free iPhone 4 from Apple 32gb black £599
    Then setup a 12 month simplicity plan yesterday for 12 months. Giving me 600mins, unlimited txts and the all important and reason behind the deal Unlimited Internet.

Now i have seen the O2 iPhone tarrifs i wonder if i should stick or cancel sim free and get it through them direct.
    Same tariff on contract is 18 months £40, 24 months £35 and the iPhone costs £209
    I also see that they are offering until Oct so first 3 months unlimited internet before the cap starts.

My way total cost over 18months is £959 Vs O2 contract £929 (my way £30 more)

My way total cost over 24months is £1079 Vs contract £1049 (my way again £30 more)

So all i am getting really is Unlimited data for an extra 9 months over the O2 contract for £30 and also my phone is sim free too. I was told when i get my iPhone from Apple i should be able to transfer my mobile insurance over to the new iPhone (i hope this is really the case if i got from Apple instead of through O2)

So what do you guys think is the best way to go about getting my iPhone or what would you do? Is there an advantage over either scenario? I thought my way would end up also costing a bit less but turns out £30 more as O2 prices seem really good.
    Please let me know and thanks for reading,
    iMoo

2. adm531 macrumors member

believe it or not, i had exactly this planned out. I originally liked the idea of a sim free iphone and the simplicity tariff, but as you said it does come out slightly more expensive, but if you ask me, £30 extra for unlimited internet is worth it.
    im waiting on O2 to see if they'll release any info on upgrading. Im hoping that ill be able to get a decent deal on the handset price if i agree to lock myself into another contract. If not then im just gonna go with the sim free/simplicity option. Im also hoping to sell my iphone 3g for £150 through O2 to partially fund this

3. iMoo thread starter macrumors regular

iMoo

Normally (or last iphones) they can do offers for any phone except the iPhone. With it being no longer O2 exclusive who knows now though, but with the demand i'm guessing it's the same. Luckily for me my friend is buying my iPhone white 16gb 3G off me for £250 so this has funded part of the initial outlay.
    The guy at O2 said it was a crafty idea on my part and was a good idea too, he said a few others had thought of the same thing and makes sense.
    Hopefully when my 12 month simplicity plan is at an end, it automatically goes on a 30 day rolling contract like normal contracts and it gives me Unlimited data too, guessing it may go up £5 when it switches to rolling contract though. Or maybe they will contact me to say "Sorry kid, 12 months up, that contract no longer available so let us cap ya ya sly fox...or words to that affect)