Should I Keep My Uni- 15" Macbook PRO?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kp98072, Mar 17, 2009.

1. kp98072 macrumors member

I recently bought a Unibody Macbook PRO 15" and Im still within the 14day return policy window. My apple store said it's completely ok to return it with no restocking fee for the 13.3" MB Aluminum if im not happy.

I am very confused, becuase the screen clarity, size is completely owsome on the MBP! Probably the best I've ever seen. I am coming from a Sony Viao Tz Series 11" screen which was WAY too small!

I'd love to keep the MBP, but havent traveled with it yet and wont during this 14 day trial period. Im just concerned that the MBP is too big? OR is it that i am not used to it yet? OR AM i better off with the 13.3" MBP?? Please help.. thanks:eek:

2. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

Keep the 15 inch mbp. It's fine for travel unless you have very very weak girly arms. I always find it funny when people complain about carrying laptops around. How weak do you have to be if you can't carry around a 6 lbs 17 inch mbp??

3. kp98072 thread starter macrumors member

First off its a 15" not 17" laptop, and the weight is NOT the issue. Its the size. You can not deny that its MUCH larger than the regular MB which for planes, and cafes probably wont do as well. That's really what I am trying to figure out here... thanks--

4. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Take a trip! Go to a coffee shop! Have fun!

Seriously - keep it unless you need the cash. Sounds like you like the machine - it's worth it. I have used both a MB and a UMBP and I prefer my UMBP

5. kp98072 thread starter macrumors member

thanks--do you lug yours around?

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Keep the 15" mbp, trust me the 13" macbook's screen is much dimmer, duller and crappier.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yes the 15" is bigger than the MacBook but portability is not compromised. I'm always at Starbucks doing work before classes and I have no problems with it. I'd keep the MBP.

8. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Yes keep it, you will regret it if you go down to the macbook.

9. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

Read my post again. I know yours is a 15 inch. I was just pointing out that people also complain about carrying 17 inch laptops. The difference between the weight of 15 and 17 inch mpb is not even 1 lbs I think yet people complain that the 17 inch is like heavy like their first born fat baby to carry.

10. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Definitely keep it! I had the old MacBook and moved up to the new MacBook Pro and simply love it! And I take it to school every damn day, I sit in the car for 2 hours every Friday and Sunday and I fly quite a lot and have had no problems with the size yet.
    If you're thinking that the MacBook is just a MacBook Pro in a 13" case, you're completely wrong.

11. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I'm sure more than a few girls would love to have a word with you about that remark. I'm also sure weight isn't the issue as the MB is not really much lighter.

I travel with the MBP (older 2.16 version) 15" and it is fine on all but the smallest prop aircraft and in coffee shops etc. Still makes me nervous with all that hot liquid in the room! I also have a 16" Sony and that system is definitely more difficult in tight places (but most of the time I manage). The display on 15" is so much better than the MB. I sold my early MB after 9 months and never looked back. Stick with the 15" MBP.

Cheers,

12. MacAlpha macrumors regular

The difference is 1.1 lbs, and, for the record, both the 15" and 17" MBP were heavier than my daughter when she was born and no, she was not fat.

All kidding aside, I carry my MBP most places I go in a Booq backpack and do not find it heavy or bulky at all. It is a bit big to use in a economy seat of an airplane for me but that is the only place where I have noticed in makes a difference and frankly I could fix that problem by loosing a bit of weight myself! :p

13. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

you are asking people whether you would be better off keeping something that is subject to your personal preference in a laptop? i don't quite follow the logic since only you would know whether you'd be better off using the 15 or sticking with the 11" Vaio. what do YOU think?

14. lapino macrumors regular

I had the same doubts, got a MB, then switched to a MBP and immediately doubted if I made the right choice, but let me tell you, the screen of the MB is NOTHING compared to the MBP, and that's why I'm gonna stay with it.

15. kp98072 thread starter macrumors member

PLEASE read my post clearly before you shoot me down. I said should i keep the mbp or return for the 13" mb. an NO not only i will know becuase like i said, i havent traveled with it yet and wanted other opinions. That is exactly what this forum is for.

16. 7even macrumors 6502a

I carry my 15" daily. No problems anywhere. Keep it. :)

17. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

But yeah all kidding aside keep the mbp. You'll probably regret it if you go for the mb. :D

18. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

KEEP IT!!

you are on the macbook pro forum tho. go over to the macbook forum and see how many of them wish they had gotten/kept the MBP:D

19. marine610610 macrumors regular

I have THE perfect solution.

Box up the MBP immediatley and send it to me, then go to the Apple store and buy the MB. If it turns out you liked the MBP more, ill send it back to you and you send me the MB. Its a win-win situation! :D

20. bossxii macrumors 68000

I would say keep it. The biggest reason, the screen quality on the 15" to me is alot better. Also as i've used a whitebook, MBA, 15" MBP and now the 17" UMBP, the 15" was the perfect travel companion. The new Unibodies are even lighter then before, thinner as well. I no longer travel via airplanes so the 17" is great for my needs. While you didn't state what you used your laptop for, if your really looking for portability and your primary use is business related, web surfing, email etc... The MBA Rev B with the SSD is very portable and does a fine job if you don't need the extra power the MBP has.

People will shoot down the MBA but if you travel a fair bit by airplane it's a damn nice machine. The MBA has a better screen than the UMB, I would recommend it over the UMB anyday. Good Luck whichever you go with.

Oh to address your 14 day concerns. I had a 15" UMBP coming from my MBA, day 36 in I took it to the Apple store, spoke with a manager about my wishes to upgrade to the 17" for battery life and screen resolution. Paid the 10% restocking fee and walked out with my new 17" UMBP. They will surprise you if your calm, and polite about your needs. They seem to want to make their customers happy.

21. jbussiere macrumors member

Keep the 15inch

My GF has the aluminum MB...side by side the screen quality is CLEARLY different. Even after calibrating hers....my unibody MBP looked 10x better.

22. Colin20 macrumors regular

There you have it. Macbooks are for girls.:p
    Keep the MBP.

23. kp98072 thread starter macrumors member

I agree the screen quality is better on the pro, but why on paper are they not so differnce in terms of resolution? I know the MBP has two graphics processors but that has no affect on web browsing, viewing basica pictures etc.

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If he is concerned about the weight of the laptop AND a bunch of other heavy stuff will you still be a condescending azz?

25. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

The quality of the screen is better, which is different to resolution etc. The MBP basically displays color better, with much better viewing angles.