Should I keep old MacBook alive or purchase a new iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mac21ND, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Mac21ND macrumors 6502a

Mac21ND

Thanks for your help in advance:

I have an original spring 2006 white macbook whose battery is now dead. Prior the battery dying, my plan was to get another year at least out of it and then buy an iMac (kids and laptops don't mix well).

My question is: Should I buy a new $129 battery for the macbook or put that money into a new $1200 iMac? I've already invested around $150 in hard drive and memory updates for the macbook since purchasing it.

Keep in mind I need a good justification to tell my wife :)

2. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I would buy a $50 something battery on ebay. You can find brand new for cheap. And keep the MB.

3. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

well you've pointed out yourself that you've spent money on HDD and Ram and now you wanna buy a battery, the macbook will keep wanting replacements so i say get the imac [​IMG] it will be faster, nicer and won't need upgrades/fixes for a long time

4. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

Buy the replacement battery and keep the MB. A new iMac would be nice, but with the upgraded RAM and HDD on the MB, you still have quite a bit of life left in it. Shop around, there are other places to buy batteries for your MB.