Should I keep old stuff?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by peachpup, Feb 16, 2010.

1. peachpup macrumors newbie

I have copies of Mac OS9, OS8, early versions of OSX, etc... Should I keep these? I know noone uses them anymore, but would there be a reason I should not just trash them I cannot see? Also, I have old MacAddict Magazines and CD's dating all the way back to #1 issue. Do you think the first edition or two would be a collector's item? I am thinking about dumping them too. So, Macheads, should I keep my real, real old stuff!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Don't dump them: if you don't want them try and give them away. There will be people who want the OSes if nothing else.

3. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Send them my way instead of throwing them out.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They can't take up too much room, just keep them stored away somewhere. Even if you don't sell the old mags they're still great to read every few years. Got some PC magazines from the early to late 90's myself, some great articles in there about why a 2 button mouse is a bad idea (they collect skin between the buttons!) :cool:.

5. amon91 macrumors newbie

I'd keep them, it's always good to have old stuff, believe me. If you can't, you might want to sell them on eBay. Believe it or not there are people who pay money for that stuff. :cool:

6. TSE macrumors 68030

I'd pay for shipping for all the MacAddict discs.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I still have my OS8 and OS9 discs.
    Got rid of my MacHome Journal issues, now have 1 year + of MacWorld.

Keep the discs, they can make good coasters. (Yeah, I know. It's trite.)

8. mstrze macrumors 68000

Sell them on eBay....

There's is always someone out there who wants your old stuff. Assuming you were going to just give them away or throw them away, start your auctions at a really cheap price so it makes it hard for someone to NOT bid and make sure you have the buyer pay for the shipping (make sure you factor in enough cost for packaging too).

I sold my MacAddict stuff a couple years back. I think I had 2 years worth and they went for like $20.

I used to keep every little thing and hoard magazines and all kinds of crap. Now, I am at a point in my life where I realize I don't need all this junk! Having less clutter and junk in your life is a great feeling. :D

9. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Give it all away. Junk is just that, junk. Once you start simplifying your life you realize how little of the crap we pile up at home we actually need or ever use. And less stuff to store, keep track of, and work around, the happier you'll be.

10. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Have you ever seen the show "Hoarders" on A&E? It makes me want to throw stuff like this away. If you haven't used it in the last 3 years, you will never regret throwing it away.

11. mstrze macrumors 68000

I agree with discarding stuff. Put stuff you might think you will want in the future in a box for a year. If you don't touch the box in that time...ditch it! You obviously don't need it!

the only caveat: If the stuff has ANY assumed worth...sell it on eBay/Craigslist or offer it up here before just ditching it.

Getting rid of the extra not only makes your life less cluttered, but it makes organizing and find the stuff you DO want and need much easier. How many times have you been searching for a cable or adaptor or other such item only to give up and buy a new one. Then, a year later, you find said item during a random clean-up? Happens to me more often than I'd like to admit.

Isn't there some sort of marketplace on here? I recall reading about it, but can't seem to locate it. :(

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Found here

Eligibility. To use the Marketplace forum (read threads, start threads, or post replies), you must be a forum member with user title 6502 or above, which means that you have 250 or more posts as displayed in your User Profile. This gives other members a chance to become familiar with you. To see your User Profile, click Quick Links -> My Profile at the top of a forum page. You must also have been a member for at least 180 days.

13. mstrze macrumors 68000

SIGH...I am not eligible yet. Haven't been here 180 days.:(

Does the marketplace have a lot of traffic? It seems very restrictive. :confused: Wouldn't it makes sense to allow anyone to access as a buyer, while keeping the sellers on a tighter leash?

I have some stuff I could sell/give and this would be the perfect place for it, but I am not going to wait another 3 months to do so. :(

14. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Let's just say it's active daily. If you read that whole post above it explains the reason for the post and time as a member conditions...

15. mstrze macrumors 68000

I did read the post. I know that I don't need to get to know my eBay buyers before I sell to them. I accept PayPal and once their money is in my account, I ship. End of story. I have even bought from buyers that I didn't know before said transaction. [/SARCASM]

Still seems overly restrictive to me. But hey, I don't run the place.

Looks like eBay or my local online swap/sales website will win out again. :cool:

16. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I agree. I try to be pretty good about getting rid of things I don't use anymore. The Hoarders show was just amazing. People can really go waaaay to the other side. I get goosebumps just thinking about living that way.

17. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I don't tend to keep old stuff myself, but I did read one of the great rules of life once which said that there's a period of two weeks between throwing something away and needing it, but that you could make that period shorter by keeping it for a long time first! :)