Should I keep or exchange my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bttkcooled, Jun 15, 2009.

1. bttkcooled macrumors newbie

well, Ive been eyeing up the new macbook pros for about 2 weeks now. then the new ones came out and won me over ( Im a photographer )

so my fiance decided to surprise me with one for my anniversary present..

she got it from Best Buy.

this is the old 15inch macbook pro unibody ( the one with the open bottom and express port etc )

my question for all you mac gurus ( since this is my first mac )

A) should I keep the one she got me, since it had the express port, non-sealed bottom, Ive read this is sataII, new ones are sata I, does this version support 8gb? they told her this was the new MBP and sold it to her as the new mbp price ( 1999 ) but its not...darn liars!

B) exchange it, and get the new one...since it had a better screen....I know it supports 8gb....sealed back...SD slot ( which I wont use since I use CF )

let me know what you guys think

thank you!

2. amoda macrumors 6502a

If they made you pay $1999 for the old model you should put up a stink. You could probably get the old model for much cheaper than that, albeit new or used.

I'm not a photographer, and I'm by no means telling you how to do your work, but I heard that laptops for photography is a no-no. Well, unless you really need the portability. So Pros using a laptop usually also purchase a display to hookup to their laptop when using it for editing and they're at their desk.

I think it has to do with the changes in how the colour looks when you move your head or the laptop screen up or down.

SD card - Usually limiting if you're a photographer. Different cameras use different memory cards. I'd give the win to the expresscard since you can get a 20-in-1 memory card reader.

Screen- Yes, the new ones are apparently slightly better. Does it make a world of a difference? Not really. You'll probably want to buy a display to place on your desk anyways.

Sealed back (I'm assuming you mean the battery) - This depends on how you use your laptop. Some people only gain an hour before needed to recharge, one test showed a battery life of 8 hours and 13 mins.

Sata I vs II - If you're using a SSD, this matters. If you aren't, and won't be before replacing this laptop, then it doesn't matter. No HD in the market right now can saturate Sata I speeds, only fast SSDs can.

Ram - From the "old" models I believe all other than the 2.4 model can handle 8Gbs.

3. bttkcooled thread starter macrumors newbie

Im not a pro photographer...I do it for fun, and have SOME that I do, nothing special.

I will be getting the 24inch monitor later on down the road most likely.

she did pay the 1999 for the old model :(

4. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Exchange it. You won't be losing anything (other than paying a restocking fee) by exchanging it.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The major question isn't whether you should or shouldn't based on the specs but rather return a present your fiance bought you. It all depends on her, you might upset/hurt her by saying "thanks honey, but you screwed, let me buy the computer"

Certainly, by getting a newer one, you'll improve the performance, look and longevity of the computer, but is it worth hurting your fiance?

6. amoda macrumors 6502a

If you do decide to exchange do not accept paying a restocking fee.

They lied to your fiance and told her she's purchasing something she wasn't. It could be an honest mistake on their part, but it doesn't mean you should pay a 10-15% restocking fee.

Maflynn has a point. You're the only that can decide. I know my girlfriend wouldn't mind and would probably tag along with me to give them an earful for lying to her. Your fiance might not feel the same way.

7. qpid macrumors regular

I think it s/he expains it as "It is a great gift but Best Buy ripped you off, I'm going to go back and fix it" Then it will be all good.

8. bttkcooled thread starter macrumors newbie

right when I opened it. she said "is that the new one" ( I didnt really look, since I figured it was the new one )

I didnt want to lie to her, so I said no its not... she was IRRATE at the best buy person...she suggested to take it back to get the new one since thats what I was looking to buy for myself.

9. bttkcooled thread starter macrumors newbie

I just called that BB and explained everything

they are willing to give me the NEW MBP

150 dollars ( matching Apples Education savings )
    ipod touch ( macthing Apples free ipod touch with mac purchase )

10. UrFatMom macrumors regular

Seriously? If your fiance gets mad because you return a 2k$ screw up, she is worthless... It's not like it was her fault too, it's Best Buy's fault. So if she should be upset about someone it would be about the pimpled idiot at Best Buy.

Nice!

11. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Glad to hear that everything got sorted out and that you walked home with a bit extra.
    Buying a computer is a skill. ;)