Should I keep the 15 inch or exchange it for the 17 inch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Myiphone7, May 10, 2011.

1. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

I bought a 15 inch MacBook Pro i7 yesterday.

If I decide to stay with a 15 inch, I'm going to exchange this one for a Hi Res screen anyway.

But I was thinking about the 17 inch. I love big screens.

Thoughts?

2. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

How often are you going to travel with it? I personally find the 17" too big. Sometimes I find the 15" too big, but I'm happy with it. I personally would use the money to get a separate LCD.

3. simsaladimbamba

I had a 15" with 1440 x 900 pixel and when it got stolen, I got myself the 17" with 1920 x 1080. For my computational needs it is much better, as I edit moving images, still images and 3D images and all that crap that comes with that.
    1680 x 1050 might be enough for you, but maybe you state your computational needs in order for use to be able to help you better.

4. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will probably travel with it, or would like the option, but I'm thinking maybe I can just put up with the size?

5. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Personally it's too big... The 15 inch is almost too big, but I decided to sacrifice the convenience of a lighter more nimble machine for the screen real estate. I found even when using Outlook Web Access for work that the 13 inch was just too small! 15 is the sweet spot for me.

6. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

STOLEN? Sorry to hear that! I would be devastated.

I don't edit anything.

I just need it for web browsing...

7. simsaladimbamba

The 17" is big, but if you have a good backpack, you will hardly notice it. I traveled with it daily (bike, tube) and it is okay to travel with a 17" MBP. But if you prefer side bags, then even the 15" is quite uncomfortable.

It was stolen from work and a day later I got money from my employer and added 200€ to get the 17". The data was backed up anyway, thus it was not a great loss.

If all you do is browsing, the 17" is quite big, the 15" is okay for that, maybe just switch for the HR version.

8. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, ya I'm leaning toward the 15 inch HR. HR for me is a must from what I understand.

The text on this one (no HR) isn't good. Kind of looks like my iPad.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

10. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I had a 15" HR glossy and to be blunt it was rubbish. Really hurt my eyes, sold it and brought a 17" and have had no problems. I travel with mine every week and have no dramas with it. All I do is browse the web, listen to itunes and play a bit with iphoto.

11. Vurius macrumors newbie

I had a 15" 2006 Core Duo model and always thought it was too small for my needs. I was initially deciding between the 15" and 17" models and listened to everybody who said that the 17" model was too big and not really portable. The biggest reason that I chose the 15" over the 17" was that I wanted to be able to use it on the tray table of a plane.

In my five years of using that machine, I never once used it on an airplane. I always had something more portable for watching movies or listening to music, and in the worst case scenario I can live without being on my computer for a few hours. So that was never an issue.

My 15" was used mostly as a desktop replacement, something that I could take with me if I wanted to, but it spent most of its life on the desk with various things like hard drives, speakers, and an external monitor plugged into it. I could take it home with me on vacations from college, but it was really too big to take it everywhere with me.

I always regretted my decision to go with the "more portable" 15" model, so when I upgraded to a new 2011 model this year, I didn't even hesitate and jumped up to a 17" model. I couldn't be happier!

I'd say that the 17" isn't any less portable than the 15" model. I wouldn't take either model with me all day wherever I was going. If you are fine bringing a 15" macbook pro with you, it's really no big deal to take a 17" one instead. If you are interested in something more portable, you should probably be looking at a 13" macbook pro or one of the macbook airs.

Of course, that's not to say that 17" model isn't portable at all. I take it around with me in my backpack when I want to, and I've never found that it was too big, heavy, or cumbersome. I just wouldn't want to make it my primary, every day, mobile machine.

I'd say that if you are thinking at all about getting a 17" model, go with it! You certainly won't be disappointed, and ignore all of the naysayers; the jump in screen size more than justifies any little increase in size or weight. :)

12. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Personally, I think it comes down to what you do. If your definition of portability is just to bring the laptop to the office in the morning then it sits on the desk, a 17" probably won't be too bad to carry arround.

On the other hand if you are constantly bringing it out in the field with you, or you are a student who will have to bring it to class then carry it around campus, you will probably quickly become sick of the added size and weight.

If you need a lot of portability, I recommend the 15" and an external LCD. If you are looking for a desktop replacement that you can take with you on occasion, the 17" might be more up your alley.

sorry, but it really depends on what you do. For a student who may ride a bike or walk to school then walk several miles a day on campus between classes, the added size and weight may not be justified.

13. Vurius macrumors newbie

Fair enough. I found the 15" was already too big to do that, so for my needs the 17" works a lot better. I would figure that if you're commuting like that, though (several miles a day walking / biking) you would have gone with a more portable machine to begin with. It *really* isn't all that much of a size or weight difference between 15" and 17", especially when the 15" is already, in my opinion, too big and heavy for doing what you describe on a regular basis (at least from my own experiences, having done that for five years).

In my own experiences, the differences between the 15" and the 17" are negligible as far as portability is concerned, and it was certainly worth it to move up to the better screen of the 17" model. For others, that might not be the case, but at least for me I couldn't be happier that I went with a 17" over a 15" with my new machine.

14. Patman macrumors newbie

17 is genius, it is pretty much the same size as my old 16'' toshiba laptop but has the resolution of my 24'' viewsonic lcd and power beyond anything

15. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

you should just get an imac the 17" is so heavy that you can barely move it. If you don't need massive power on the move get an imac and a macbook air. I have a mac pro and macbook air and it is computing nirvana.

16. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

The 17" is 1.1 lbs heavier than the 15". In laptop weight, that is significant. But it does boil down to how do you use your laptop.

My 15" stays at home most of the time, although I sometimes take it with me on the weekends. Technically, a desktop would suffice, but I take the laptop with me on vacation every year. On my last trip, I was editing photos for almost 3 hours from Boston to Dallas. Even then, I felt the 15" was a little large on plane tray. I find my wife's 13" MacBook Air to be almost the perfect size for everyday use. She used to have a 17" laptop and she never used it because it was big and heavy. She uses the Air a lot more now.

17. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

yep that's why everyone has different needs. I agree, and sometimes hate carrying my 15" to class, but I just couldn't justify buying the 13" because it's so much more hampered than the 15" options. Some people can't get the 13" because they need the better gpu in the 15" even though they still need the portability.

Currently I'm debating selling the 15" in favor of a 27" iMac and buying a macbook air if/when they get the sandybridge treatment!

I would also disagree with the 15" and 17" not being that different. The 13" mbp weighs 4.5lbs, the 15" is 5.6, and the 17" is 6.6, so each about a pound different. If one doesn't think the 17 is much heavier than the 15, then the 15 in reality isn't much heavier than the 13"

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The 17" is good if you hit the gym once a year or maybe use your arm muscles every so often. If you're afraid to break a nail grab the MBA or maybe an iPhone.

Srsly I use the 17" on the road daily. Can it slide in a manila envelope? no. but I can view anything like a boss on the hi-res 17" display. OP I suggest you go to the store and try to pick it up with one hand. When you realize that you can, pat yourself on the back and enjoy your new box.

19. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

I agree with you. I went to the store and took a 15in and set it on top of a 17 in and it was a minimal difference. The weight was also negligible.

20. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

it has nothing to do with the strength of the user... I'm sure anyone that is capable of using a computer can lift 6.6 pounds. Some people don't want to lug around a 17" laptop on their bike to class then walk around campus with it when they also have 3 or 4 other large textbooks and a few notebooks in their backpack. That's also not to say some users have no problem hauling around a 17" as their "portable"

Everyone has different needs, however I don't think anyone is passing on the 17 because they can't lift it, let's be real here.

21. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

//shrug

That's fine. I'm responding to those who, probably never even having touched the 17" (for fear of breaking the aforementioned nail) saying that it's immobile yet calling the 15" practically feather light.

It's BS.

22. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AHHHHH now I'm just more confused!

But thanks for all the replies. Great points to consider.

I sincerely am now reconsidering the 17 inch. I mean, I love big screens.

I have an iPad, iPhone 4, and a 14 inch HP computer.

I think for class either of the above would be fine.

I kind of need a big screen desktop type device.

Decisions, decisions........... *sigh*

23. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bought a new MacBook Pro, need some help adjusting

*accidental post* sorry

24. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

why not go w/ either imac($1600) and mba for ($1100 for 13 inch)

why not?

17 is too big to carry around. But so is 15 for lot of people.

If you were already gonna shell out good over 2k .. why not?

25. palpatine macrumors 68040

The weight differences are interesting, because even though the numbers aren't large, they are significant.

I used to carry around a lot in my backpack on campus. I'd have my 13" Toshiba, a couple of books, and maybe a thermos in the side pocket. My back started hurting, though. When I asked around, it turns out that lots of fellow students and professors have back problems. Some of them are pretty debilitating. That's when I got a netbook and stopped carrying books. I can't say for sure that backpacks are to blame, but it surely doesn't help to carry all of that around on your back every day.

Of course, everyone is different, but one thing I would recommend is to get the smallest computer and the smallest backpack you can get away with. In my case, I was sorely tempted by the mba, but ended up with the mbp because it had been refreshed. I'm pleased with it, but it also means I have worked even harder to empty out my backpack and make it as light as possible. Now, I just have my mbp and ipad with some pencils and pens. In a few years I imagine I'll migrate down to an mba.

I should add that I am in extremely good shape. I work out every morning in the gym, swim a couple of kilometers, and do yoga at night. The back is a tricky thing, though, and I recommend you take good care of it.