Should I keep the batery in there?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ruenzuo, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Ruenzuo macrumors newbie

Hi, I get my first macbook yesterday. Loving it! Got the White model, the first refresh of the year, just before this june refresh, buy I don't care.
    So, here's the deal. I gonna use this machine 80% of the time in my home, not gonna move it from the desktop. So I'm using right now without battery, connected to the macsafe. Should I keep it that way? or I need to put the battery? Because I heard that if the battery is always there and the macbook is connected to magsafe, the battery die fast. I also don't know if that I'm doing is safe for the Macbook, to say without batery.

Please help.

Oh! btw, when I first remove the batery, something really strage felt off the macbook, was like a tiny tiny tiny little metal, works well without it, but I want to be sure that's nothing importante.

thanks for the help.

Sorry my bad English, I'm from Peru.

2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Congrats! Welcome to Macintosh :)

You should leave the battery in; MacBooks throttle down the CPU speed when the battery is not in the machine, so if you want it to run at full speed, keep the battery in. If you are concerned about the battery, just unplug it every few days and run it down a bit to keep the electrons flowing.

Any chance you could get a picture of it? I can't think of anything tiny and metal that is down there aside from screws.

Hee-hee, no reason to apologize, your English is better than that of 90% of the people making up this forum :p

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

I second leaving the battery in; multifinder is right about the throttling, but also, the magsafe is made to disconnect easily (instead of sending your MB crashing to the ground). If you happen to disconnect your power supply, you will lose any and all work instantly.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Leave the battery in. The CPU downclocks to 1ghz when the battery isn't present, which will severely hamper the computer's capacity to multitask.

5. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Too many people worry too much about their batteries. It's there so you can use it, and it's healthier for the battery to be used than not to be.

6. Ruenzuo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answers people. The batery is on it's place right now.
    I really apreciate the help, I'll try to get a picture of that tiny metal for tomorrow.

Again, thanks!