Should I keep trusting my OWC drive after several RMA's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Alexappleusa, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Alexappleusa macrumors newbie

I have a mid 2011 MacBook Air and bought an OWC aura 6G pro 480GB for it on ebay for about $100 less than the OWC price.

It lasted 2 months, freezes and then death (only SandForce controller 33k recognized). I try to RMA the drive only to find OWC has a warranty transfer limitation, luckily the person I bought it from is super nice and arranged an RMA for me. In the process I find out this is now the 3rd RMA for the drive since 2011 and the drive's warranty is up july 2014.

So question is- has this sand force controller issue been resolved? Can I trust this drive? Or should I unload it when I get the RMA back and just stick with 256GB and get a 128GB micro SD to put in my nub drive and get me by...?

What are peoples experiences thoughts?

Thanks!

Alex

2. Alexappleusa thread starter macrumors newbie

I did! Thats when it died about 3 days later...

3. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Shouldn't you be calling OWC and asking there customer service dept if you can trust there products based on what you've been through ?

What difference does it make on here, I could have outstanding experience for the product in question and you could have horrible experience's.

Just saying

4. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

Hmm, I just bought one from OWC for my 2012 MBA. Hope I don't have the same issue. And you say OWC's Customer Service won't help you:confused:

Apple's Sandforce Controller issues seem to be resolved by a firmware update. I have had no issues with my Apply 64GB SSD since the firmware update. I don't know about OWCs however.

If it were me, I wouldn't want to stick anyone else with a known problem piece of hardware. Remember, what goes around comes around. But, that's just me.

Lou

5. Alexappleusa thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh no worries, as I mentioned OWC RMA'd and replaced the drive without issue. I am sure your drive will probably be fine...

I was just putting out feelers to see if anyone else was on their 3rd OWC drive but judging by the response I seem to be an exception not the rule.

Also yes I did ask OWC customer service and of course they said I was an exception as well, but wouldn't they have to say that?

Anyhoo I now have the replacement OWC drive and am going to stick it out as I can't get the capacity anywhere else.. Also there was a March firmware update that might help..

Happy harddriving!

Alex

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I had one OWC SSD fail after like twice in 2 years and then they replaced it and I basically never touched it again.

7. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^So the third one was the charm. How long has it been running. I don't like the sound of this:mad:

Lou