Should i leave my macbook pro plugged in all the time???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iLoveMacPro, Dec 28, 2009.

1. iLoveMacPro macrumors member

Everyday when i used my macbook pro i plugged it in before i start the mac and after i shut it down i plug it out. I have been doing this for a while. Should i keep doing this or should i keep the mac charge all the time???

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

I would be more concerned with the number of times the plug is being worked. It should be OK to do so but 6-700 times a year is bound to risk wear on the plug and failure of the connection eventually.

IMHO.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes, it's okay to leave your MBP plugged in all the time. Just make sure it's plugged into a power bar with surge protection.

Every once in a while (~every 2 weeks), if I find that I'm not using it on battery power, I purposefully use it on battery power to cycle the battery.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Be sure you calibrate the battery about once a month. More battery care info here: http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

5. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Calibrating your battery sure takes a lot of time, especially when your macbook has a battery capacity of 7 hours.:rolleyes:

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

All you need to do is unplug the magsafe cable. It takes a lot of time, but very little effort.

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Your emphasis in the quote is a bit misleading. There's absolutely no reason to continuously plug and unplug the cable, or to charge it fully and then run it on battery out of a concern about overcharging. The article just points out that it's important to use the battery once in a while.

I think (hope) that's what the :rolleyes: was for.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not misleading at all, as it's a direct answer to the thread's question: "Should I leave my macbook pro plugged in all the time?". The answer is "Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time."
    You're contradicting yourself. No one suggested "continuously plugging and unplugging the cable" The recommendation is to run on battery power occasionally, to keep electrons moving. Running on battery power for a few hours every 3-4 days is sufficient to do that.

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Just a put a movie DVD into the CD/DVD drive and start watching with the screen brightness turned high. That will cut the battery time significantly down. :)

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

No, but the OP is doing this constantly whenever the computer turns off, which is unnecessary. According to Apple, it's only necessary to run the computer on battery once a month, and they say nothing about unplugging when the computer is powered down.