Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidrousseau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I bought an iPhone a day after the launch, and had a new ATT number activated. I'm keeping the iPhone allthough I swore I wouldn't get one. Now... the visit to the Verizon store:

I have a family share plan, with one line left. Verizon won't let me keep that plan although they admitted some people only have a single phone on that plan (they slipped.) They want me to sign a one year contract on a single line plan. The continually bad mouthed the iPhone saying it's too expensive. would not email photos, etc, and that Verizon would have an iPhone "killer" soon.

I told them I would probably just leave Verizon and add a second phone to ATT, and they said, "we don't have a problem retaining customers" so I'm free to leave Verizon. I told them they don't really seem to care about their four year customers, and they should.

I took a picture of them and emailed it to them from the iPhone, and none of them had ever seen an iPhone. So, now I can sign for one year with a carrier I don't respect, or add another line for two years with ATT (whom I don't respect that much either.)

dreamteam

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
I didn't hesitate leaving verizon for att. I'm actually saving 30/month now. I was tired of verizon always being behind in phone technology and being forced to use their horrible ui. Not to mention their constant nickle & diming.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
It was a struggle for me to leave Verizon.

I am a loyal Apple user who has a lot of Apple products and I trust them and love their customer service.

But, Verizon has been good to me for a year. Great service, customer support, and reception.

In the end, I choose AT&T over Verizon because the phone for Verizon was out-dated and I need a updated phone, even if the service is a little worse.

pianos101

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2006
Philly Area
Although I wasn't in the same situation as you, I generally was. I've been a customer off vzw's for almost 8 years now, and they've always been good to me. Great customer service (usually) and pretty much always reliable cell service. Also, being key here, most everybody I know is on vzw, so in-calling was (is) a biggie. After debating and debating I finally got an iPhone monday, and to my surprise the ATT service is not as bad as i thought it was...

Anyway, make the switch. If you end up porting out vzw gives you 30 days to port back in without an activation fee (i'm sure this is the same if you keep your new att number). Try it; you'll love it...

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
In my experience, all carriers suck to different degrees.

Pretending one likes you more or less is just a waste of time.

If you like the iPhone, go with AT&T and forget about who did what to whom and when.

Anthony8720

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
USA
I bought an iPhone a day after the launch, and had a new ATT number activated. I'm keeping the iPhone allthough I swore I wouldn't get one. Now... the visit to the Verizon store:

I have a family share plan, with one line left. Verizon won't let me keep that plan although they admitted some people only have a single phone on that plan (they slipped.) They want me to sign a one year contract on a single line plan. The continually bad mouthed the iPhone saying it's too expensive. would not email photos, etc, and that Verizon would have an iPhone "killer" soon.

I told them I would probably just leave Verizon and add a second phone to ATT, and they said, "we don't have a problem retaining customers" so I'm free to leave Verizon. I told them they don't really seem to care about their four year customers, and they should.

I took a picture of them and emailed it to them from the iPhone, and none of them had ever seen an iPhone. So, now I can sign for one year with a carrier I don't respect, or add another line for two years with ATT (whom I don't respect that much either.)

I think this is an easy choice. If you have both services, and like the coverage on both of them. Then why not get an iPhone? You already know at&t works in your area right?

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio

I left Verizon years ago . . . not running to another cell phone provider just running away from Verizon. LOL:p

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
I plan on staying with Verizon since my mother won't leave, but getting the iPhone and ATT as well and then alternating between the two.

BTW anyone want to take a shot at convincing my mother to switch? She believes that even though we're paying a freaking lot more money per month we're still better off.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Left Verizon for a few reason

1)Didn't get service at my house with them

2)iPhone

Honestly no one seemed to care in my house that our phones didn't work with verizon, and they started to work some of the time...either way the iPhone pushed us over the edge

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
I left Verizon Worthless two years ago for Cingular (now AT&T) and haven't looked back. There is no iPhone killer coming. What they're trying to bring into this market is the LG Prada, which looks a lot like an iPhone, but if you read the reviews in Europe it has a horrible user interface. Plus it costs $600, the same as an iPhone. They just bad mouth the iPhone because they were stupid enough to pass on it when it was offered to them first. Their phones are horrible as is their customer service and they're losing a lot of customers to AT&T because of the iPhone.

The Prise

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2007
I plan on staying with Verizon since my mother won't leave, but getting the iPhone and ATT as well and then alternating between the two.

BTW anyone want to take a shot at convincing my mother to switch? She believes that even though we're paying a freaking lot more money per month we're still better off.

tell your mother to switch becuase att is taking over the world and its a matter of time before shes gonna need to switch anyways.

vzw SUCKS

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.

I bought two iPhones the second day they were out. I loved the phones, but in my are Verizon has the best service hands down. The AT&T connection was awful. I returned both iPhones, it was that bad. I suggest you keep both , and make sure you travel around with the iPhone a bit before dropping them. Cingular has a problem switching cell towers. I was told by an At&t cust service rep that I should turn my phone off and on when I get home or to work to force it to join the local cell tower. No thanks.

Hope you have better luck, the iPhone rocks.

DanB91

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
its very strange people say at&t service sux, b4 i was forced to switch to vzw (long story), i had great service w/ cingluar/at&t, no dropped calls or anything. vzw, however has HORRIBLE service (at least where i live) dropped calls and everything. i guess it all depends where u live

i will eventually get an iphone and switch off this crap network and w/ actually get on a reliable network (at least for me) :)

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
its very strange people say at&t service sux, b4 i was forced to switch to vzw (long story), i had great service w/ cingluar/at&t, no dropped calls or anything. vzw, however has HORRIBLE service (at least where i live) dropped calls and everything. i guess it all depends where u live

i will eventually get an iphone and switch off this crap network and w/ actually get on a reliable network (at least for me) :)

If you have read this forum, you will see a good bit saying AT&T sucks and others saying its the best.

Seems depending on the region, one/two services are great...others are the worst.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.