Should i let my macbook pro always pluged it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SolidSnak3, Mar 12, 2011.

1. SolidSnak3 macrumors member

Should? Its in my room and its always pluged in, will that damage the battery or something? Also i never turn it off, i just close the display and put it to sleep, is that bad for the hardware or something?
    Another quick question; is there anything like Rainmeter to costumize the desktop?

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it's bad for your battery to leave it plugged in all the time. No, it's not bad to sleep instead of shutting down.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. SolidSnak3 thread starter macrumors member

AC POWER

Quote:
    Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time.
    AppleCare support recommends that if you leave your Mac plugged in most of the time, unplug it every 2 or 3 days and run on battery down to somewhere around 50%, then plug it back in. That keeps the electrons moving.
    Running on battery every few days also increases the pixi dust level!
    Also, it is not recommended to run your Mac on the AC adaptor with the battery out (Of course, this only applies to removable batteries).

As long as you're running it on battery at least every few days and calibrate every month or two, you'll be fine. Relax and just enjoy using your Apple notebook!
    ^^

So i should unplugged every 2-3 days mmm Intersting i didnt know that.
    Also no way to costumize desktop uh? ;/

4. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Had my MB for about 3 years now, never unplugged it from the mains for the first two and half years. I rely on the battery nearly every day at the moment and the two and half years of being connected directly to the mains does not seem to have made any difference, I still get a full days usage from full battery.

As for shutting down, I only ever do that when it has to be restarted. Again haven't noticed that it has done any harm.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What, exactly, are you wanting to customize?

6. SolidSnak3 thread starter macrumors member

Dock, icons, the way it looks kinda like rainmeater

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To change icons, read this. As for Dock customization (other than icons), I recommend caution. There are dozens of threads in this forum from people who customized incorrectly and had problems with their Dock afterwards.

8. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

As long as you calibrate once a month you'll be fine

9. marci65 macrumors newbie

Can you please point me to a link on how to calibrate? I am new to the forums and don't understand what this is/means. Thanks.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the Battery FAQ I posted a link to (post #2 in this thread).

11. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

12. marci65 macrumors newbie

Great and thanks, looks like I already did that, unintentionally.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't exactly calibrate unintentionally. Make sure you followed all the steps.

14. samuelarroyo27 macrumors newbie

No it won't affect anything. MacBook Pro's 2011 version doesn't not get affected thanks to a new technology that doesn't let the MacBook Pro over charge like other laptops/PC do now a days. Here read this:

"It is also normal that your battery may not charge to 100%. The battery may appear to stop charging between 93 percent and 99 percent, because the batteries are designed to avoid short discharge/charge cycles in order to prolong the overall life of the battery. When it reaches a full charge, the light on your MagSafe adapter will turn green. This indicates that it has stopped charging your battery and you are now running on A/C power with a fully charged battery. It will not overcharge your battery. It's also perfectly safe to let your Mac notebook sleep with A/C plugged in."

I got it from apple's website and it's also on some other websites too. I work on my MacBook Pro for almost 7-8 hrs continuously plus I study online too. While I'm doing both I have it connected to my MageSafe Adapter and never shut it down unless I need to do some kind of restart. When I do unplug it to go to Campus or a family member's house battery last for about 6 1/2 hrs from the 7 hrs life time that apple advertises. Battery life dos depends on what are you doing on your Macbook Pro at the moment. Mine is 2011 version too with i7 and the whole 9 yards. Hope this could help you and some new Mac users out there.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you took the time to read the thread before resurrecting it, you'd see it's also stated in the Battery FAQ in the 2nd post of this thread, over 7 months ago.