Should I let someone know my password before I die?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by ziggyonice, Jun 28, 2009.

1. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I don't mean to continue the morbid topics of this week, but I've been thinking about this for a while.

Living in a world surrounded by technology, we've become accustomed to our accounts and computers, social networks and online discussion boards. All of this we use everyday, and often consist of our personal and private information. So, should we die, what happens to all of this?

Should I let someone know my password before I die? Should I put something in my will? Do I want others to access my files? My computer contains more information about me than even my family would know... do I want them to someday have access to my life?

It's just a thought I've had for a while. What do you think?
    (I'm not about to die or anything, by the way... just in case you were wondering.) :)

2. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

O.O

Well, maybe in the will... and as far as personal information, what would you care? You'd be dead when they find out whatever's on there, so they may as well know.

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I'd put it in my will. Hey, you're dead. What do you care what they find out about you? :p ;)

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

For important items, that someone would need to know to settle your affairs or information that you want others to see, I would put them on paper in a sealed envelope with tape and your signature across the tape. Only to be opened in case of death.

You can update as need be and then shred the old list.

This can be very helpful to those left behind in case of sudden death.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Put it in your will or in a safety deposit box, if you have one.

6. ruku macrumors member

its a good question. if someone i know died and left me access to this information id check it, be it good or bad. but as much as some people might like to check out your uncensored life story they might be shocked and lose more than they are willing to by finding out you were not who they thought you were. everyone wears googles of some kind of personal perception that tell only some portion of the truth anyway.
    id hate to break the illusions of someone who really loves me the way they see me but i have always tried to be and open book to the people who were interested and trustworthy. i have enjoyed showing all my frailties to people so i feel that people really know me, but as i get older i think that what really happens is people just add these details to their misconceptoins of you anyway and im often surprised by the reactions i get.
    if it became an expectation that people would bestow this knowledge onto everyone as a matter of course imagine the conversations on the topic. people just waiting for the final and revealing chapter to put all the pieces into perspective. the expectations wed get through other revealations as well would prime us towards some odd judgements of others to and give us more of a sense of entitlement about prejudging others. im on the fence but id still check some of my closest friends for sure.

7. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

I never thought about it before, but personally I'm going to put it all in my will, possibly with a warning that they may find I wasn't the person they thought I was, so they can take it or leave it.

Nate

8. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I'd put it in a will. Living in the modern world means that people should now start adding a "data section" to their will. This section would include any appropriate passwords to computers, devices, e-mail and any online content. You would direct the trusted party what to do with all of your online and electronic content...how to dispose of it, what to announce (e-mail or post for you as a final message (on Facebook, LiveJournal, blogs, people in your e-mail address books, etc.).

Personally, I have directed someone to throw certain locked cases and some other "stuff" away should something happen to me. This is specific and easy. However, I wish there was some way to have a program on my computer that, when run, would automatically delete certain specified folders and files on all my various hard drives....rather than having someone manually go delete them. After all, I wouldn't want everything on my hard drives wiped...just certain specific folders.

But yeah, have a list of instructions in your will...or at least a sealed envelope that someone knows to open upon your death. You would just need to remember to keep your list updated...as passwords change over time.

Either way, have a nice death!

9. The Reverend macrumors member

Password security.

If you have a will.. yes great place for it.. but you may have to update that a lot .. as you change it to keep it secure.

If you don't.. you could make a password book and hide it , someplace in your home, that others might find after you die, and go through your stuff.

You could also have it in a safety deposit box. Or give a copy of all your passwords to someone you trust .. perhaps your Pastor at your church or a family lawyer.. but still.. you really have to trust these people.

I do believe in having more then 1 copy of any password.. 1 set of passwords stored in a safe place off site like a bank vault and another hidden or locked up at main site.

You should rotate your password every few months..

A secure password is at least 8 characters long; with letters and numbers and also no real words. Adding a special character( *,$,@) to the middle also is suggested.

Please talk to a lawyer if you have a real concern.. there could be more options.

Keeping a Will is always very important if you have anything you care about and you wish someone to get when you pass.

10. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

Companies are used to this sort of thing, honestly, so it's not super super required.... but it might save people time.. Id say put your keychain password in your will maybe so people can get your ohter passwords?