Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Last summer ('04) I had a cleaning and he told me my wisdom teeth were comin' in crooked and I sohuld have them removed. Well, me being me, I never had them removed. They didn't hurt, so I didn't do anything. Plus I lost the number he gave me, for the oral surgeon. Yea I'm lazy... Well anyways, it's been over a year and some months. I haven't seen the dentist since. I usually have an annual cleaning, but they never called this year, haha, so I didn't bother. :rolleyes:

Applespider

macrumors G4
Well since you should be going on a 6-12 month basis for cleaning etc, you're overdue for a visit in any case. Go call and make an appointment to go.

As far as wisdom teeth coming and possibly causing other teeth to become crooked, yes, it happens. If he's advised having them removed, then it might cause a lot less pain down the road with braces etc than getting them removed now.

I'd advise going back, coming clean as to not getting the work done and finding out whether those teeth are still coming in crooked and what the options are.

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
Haha! This is funny because just today that I realized it had been over a year (years?) since I've been to the dentist and I probably won't see one again until I graduate from college and get insurance, which is at least two years away. Never had a cavity! :D (knock on wood)

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
SamIchi said:
... I haven't seen the dentist since. I usually have an annual cleaning, but they never called this year, haha, so I didn't bother. :rolleyes:

You should schedule an appointment ... we would hate to keep grinding you down with steady reminders.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I have the belief that if you just keep brushing, and start flossing, you don't really need to see your dentist once every 6-12 months. Once every 2 years is ok.

But read my sig if you want.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Don't go back to the dentist. Every time you go to a dentist, they use Crafty Techniques™ and Devious Methods™ to ensure your teeth slowly decline into a state of pain and dishevel in the hope, nay the guaranty, that you must return to amend their ill-doing. It's the sad truth, but it's the nature of the industry. But read my sig if you want.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
mad jew said:
Don't go back to the dentist. Every time you go to a dentist, they use Crafty Techniques™ and Devious Methods™ to ensure your teeth slowly decline into a state of pain and dishevel in the hope, nay the guaranty, that you must return to amend their ill-doing. It's the sad truth, but it's the nature of the industry.

There is much merit to that. I had a crown put in several years ago and the next dentist I went to did nothing but badmouth the poor workmanship, etc. It happens to be a profession where you can be screwed beyond belief. My mother and I both went to a practitioner back in the 70's who was such a quackmeister that afterwards I sent mail to him stating that the sign on his office should be amended to read: "Dentist/Proctologist ... before leaving this office you will be drilled, it's just a question of location."

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
mad jew said:
Don't go back to the dentist. Every time you go to a dentist, they use Crafty Techniques™ and Devious Methods™ to ensure your teeth slowly decline into a state of pain and dishevel in the hope, nay the guaranty, that you must return to amend their ill-doing. It's the sad truth, but it's the nature of the industry. But read my sig if you want.

Mad Jew living up to his name. :p

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Go back and get them taken out!!!!

I had my wisdom pulled out in August, because they had become impacted (crooked). They had been causing me pain - really achy gums and jaw. The other reason was that they were shifting my teeth (which I didn't want to happen after 4 years of orthodontics). Having them out wasn't as bad as I thought either. I went under a general anesthetic (there was no way I was having them yanked out while I was awake), next thing I knew, they were out and I had a very numb mouth. The next few days were a bit uncomfortable and I wasn't able to eat properly for nearly a week. It wasn't all that painful, more strange than anything - I could feel the holes and the stitches (ewwww!) I did have some swelling in my cheeks, but no where near as bad as I had seen other people with.

Seriously, just get them out asap and then you'll never have to worry about them again! ;)

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
Wisdom teeth come out pretty well when you are 18-21; but my understanding is that it is much more difficult to get them out when you are older; they have become impacted against your other teeth; etc. I remember my father had his out in his 40s and he was miserable in bed (the only time in his life I've ever seen him like that). So you may want to at least investigate the possibility of having them out so you dont doom yourself to misery later.

XNine

macrumors 68040
"Should I listen to my dentist" is a question with many answers. All I can tell you, is that if your dentist says "Everything will be okay. When you fall asleep I'm going to pull your pants around your ankles" Then.... that's not good.

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
take it from someone who comes from a long line of bad teeth in the family, DON'T F WITH YOUR TEETH. When they do start to hurt, you'll regret not having them out. I had not listened to my dentist, they felt fine, and about a year ago, one morning they hurt. I took advil, and went on with my day. About two days later I couldn't sleep, and the pain kept getting worse and worse to the point I could function. And now my teeth are crooked form the pressure, and undid all the work my orthodontist did as a kid. The few days of pain after surgery is worth it to not have the pain come back again. Point of the story is, when your teeth need work, its best to get it done as soon as possable. When they hurt, the damage is already done.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
go back for a check up and a cleaning and ask for your X-rays and get a second opinion. don't be rude about it but don't just accept what they have to say.

my wisdom teeth caused me no pain or problems when i had them taken out, but they WOULD HAVE. they were severely impacted and could have damaged some of my other teeth to a degree i was not willing to find out about. they were removed in a rather invasive oral surgery but i don't regret it at all. you don't need those teeth and they often cause more trouble than they're worth. no real harm in getting them removed, but there is a good chance of harm in not getting them removed.

just my $.02

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Abstract said:
Yeah, except the "Jew" part of his name, lest we forget. :p

What if I called myself the "Crazy Black Dude" and posted a photo of my chineez self?

Don't be so abstract :p

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
SamIchi said:
Plus I lost the number he gave me, for the oral surgeon. Yea I'm lazy...
Absolutely not. Don't listen to him. Because we all love bad teeth and dentists aren't real doctors anyway :rolleyes:

Busting chops today. Ask anyone :rolleyes:

Attachments

• rotteeth.jpg
    rotteeth.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 120

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
I would have them out while they are still coming in. I had mine out this last summer, it was really no big deal. The worst part of it was me worrying about it. The actual procedure, and even afterwards, was no biggie at all. Only thing was is that the meds they gave me after made me sick so they had to have me take less, and with water/food. No pain to speak of though, a little bit, but nothing unbearable.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I had all 4 taken out, and while 3 of them were taken out within an hour, one particular tooth was hooked at the end and was so difficult to take out that the doctor actually grabbed onto it using a tool and pushed against a chair with his leg to try and yank the thing out.

Lets just say that while the local anaesthetic worked, it was painful and bloody for that particular tooth. It took 2.5 hours to remove that single tooth, and around 45 minutes for the other 3.

Um.....good luck. ;)

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Thanks for the comments guys. It's funny how, when I made this topic, I wasn't having any pains (and never did before) near my wisdom teeth. The next day I started feelin' a little pain. I've been thinkin about it all day. I called my dentist office but they were closed, and now it's the weekend. I'll wait til Monday. I'm goin' to get these things out as soon as I can. I hope they can schedule an appointment soon. It's all I can think about. They aren't giving me pain. I can feel a little pressure form one particular one though. It's been tough eating today, I didn't want to affect it in any way.

Does anyone know how much this operation costs, around? Cause I think I recently lost my dental insurance... I don't want to get into that though. It must be done anyways.

AHhh damn me and my careless, procrastinatin' ways.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
SamIchi said:
... They aren't giving me pain. I can feel a little pressure form one particular one though.

When wisdom act up they can be a mess of trouble. My two bottom ones came in years ago and I left them alone despite occasional periods of discomfort lasting weeks at a time. The one I had taken out eight years ago was impacted abd the dentist had to remove it in four pieces ... took an hour and fifteen minutes. Not fun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.