Should I make bootable DVD or USB?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by seong, Jul 26, 2011.

1. seong, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

seong macrumors 65816

seong

I was wondering if I should go buy a USB 8GB to make a bootable Lion Installer or burn it on the DVD.
    I did burn it on the DVD, but this thing took forever to load. I was wondering if 8GB USB will be faster.
    Another question is, will the brands matter? There are 8GB USBs on sale near where I live. Will those cheap USBs die fast, or just slower?

Thanks in advance.

2. dsciel macrumors regular

i have experienced the same thing...the DVD takes forever to load..and i ended up use the SL disk that came with my macbook and upgrade to lion through app store with my new hard drive.....don't know why the DVD doesnt work.... and havent tryout the flash drive boot method yet

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

USB....I tried the DVD and it would not work as it failed during the dl'ing additional components phase for some reason

4. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I don't see any reason to, unless there's a possibility you would be stuck somewhere, without Internet, and need to reinstall Lion right away.

5. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

It'll come in handy someday. Plus, if you were to install Lion OS on the USB itself, then you'll be able to boot off from your work with any Mac that's compatible with Lion.

6. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

I've got a new question for you guys.....
    What GB size USB/SD Card would you recommend to install Lion OS on it? 8? 16?

7. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

A USB drive large enough to hold the Lion install. So 8GB would be the smallest that would work.

8. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

USB has been faster for me to install Snow Leopard, Lion, and Windows 7.
    I used a DVD for Leopard and took ages, same for WinXP

9. seong, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

What if I use the SD Card? Seems like very sleeeeeeek :)
    I really don't like the idea of having a USB sticking out. Since computers I deal with are 2010 Mac Minis, I think the SD Card will do well. Will Class 10 SD Cards work?

Oh, and one more thing to note!
    My reason to buy the 16GB SD Card Class 10 to install Lion on it so that I can boot from, is because, remember that when you install Lion it makes a small partition for disk utility, reinstalling Lion, etc? I think, if I install Lion on a 16GB SD Card, I'll be able to have BOTH the installer and Lion itself on it. Any thoughts?

10. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I don't have both the installer and booting on my Jump Drive. I do however have a Bootable 10.7 on a 16gig Jump Drive.. It really that slow considering how slow a jump drive is compared to a hard drive.

Hugh

11. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

I've been wondering around Youtube, trying to find someone running Lion, or Snow Leopard, from a SD Card, and here it is.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38aJjHAtNnY&feature=related
    It seems to run fine for me :)

12. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I didn't type out the message right. It should say that I am NOT having any trouble running 10.7 from the Jump Drive. It isn't really slow, I thought it might because the speed of the Jump Drive. But it's actually running good, and if I could understand why it keeps indexing my hard drive and the Jump Drive.

Hugh

That will teach me not to post when I'm up late! LOL

13. sprale macrumors member

I've got Lion installed on a 8Gb USB drive for recovery and diagnostic purposes, but it's not that much faster than the DVD. Does anyone know if installing Lion on a SD card would be significantly faster? Where can I find the speed specs for both ports?

----------

It looks like the SD port runs into the USB bus (redundant :p) on the 2009 model (480 Mbit/s), so it's six of one...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3553#4

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP544