Should I Make The Switch To iPhone 4??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iGuyiGuy, Aug 20, 2010.

1. iGuyiGuy macrumors member

So I am sure there are other posts regarding this question, however I would like to personally tailor this one to my situation and get everyones opinion!

I as of right now am the proud owner of a new blackberry torch. Though it is NOT the most AMAZING phone out there, being a blackberry user, this seems like one small step for man kind..

I also have an iPad 64gb which I tend to use for things other than email, text, bbm, and phone calls as the blackberry excels in the department..

A good friend of mine purchased the iphone 4 on launch and has been complaining of issues such as a rattling, dropped calls etc. But has been boasting about the display and other things..

Now my question is I am currently a physician, therefore bbm contacts, as well as emailing is a big part of my daily routine. Should I give that up to indulge in the iphone 4 lifestyle? Or should I stick with the torch and ipad combo?

PS: If you are annoyed with this post and have nothing constructive to tell me please just click the back button on your browser! Thanks!

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I'm an iPhone 4 owner; it's not all that it's cracked up to be. Trust me on that. Let's review its key features that make it 'magical':

Facetime: Amazing? Yes. Convenient? Not at the least. You have to be using Wifi to use it, and you can only FaceTime others with an iPhone 4. Combine those two factors, and you have a feature that you won't get a lot of use out of.

Retina Display: I did notice a big step up when switching from the 3G S to the iPhone 4. The colors were more in-depth, and it looks great.

Antenna: The antenna is in the lower left corner of the phone. For some reason, Apple never factored in the idea of people using their phone with their left hand, and blocking the signal. Personally, I have noticed that I lose at least 2 bars when I hold my phone 'incorrectly'.

Multitasking: Not that great. When you open apps, they aren't truly closed. While they don't take up battery or consume your performance, it's annoying to have to scroll through all of the apps you've opened throughout the day to find the one you want to get back to. Not to mention a lot of the apps I have haven't even been optimized for the iPhone 4 yet, leaving half of them incapable of multitasking to begin with.

Unlike Blackberry's BBM, iPhone does not have an instant messing service, so you will lost that feature. However, it does have a pretty nifty email client, that I think you'll like if you email a lot during the day.

It's up to you at this point: stick with what you have, or get the iPhone. Some people love it, and don't have many issues, while others have tons of issues. If you think your Blackberry will handle work more efficiently for you, then stick with it. I see the Blackberry as more of a business phone anyways.

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

To be honest there will be many here that will doubt you in your post here. Sadly there seems to a trollish sort that seems to have the same MO that you have....

What I would suggest is that you find a medical forum that is in to the likes of phones and tablets like the iPad and see what they have to say. I know from my use that the iPad might be better in a medical setting. But I see that the camera functions of the iPhone might also be a plus factor....

4. Gilly Gil macrumors regular

I think ifyou like your Ipad and the OS, than you should get the Iphone 4. It's a great phone and i think you will be pleased with it. I've had no issues and i have a day 1 purchased iphone. I also believe a developer came out with an app for the bbm contacts. I'm really happy with my phone as are many others. You have 30 days to decide as well so i say go for it and Welcome.

5. iGuyiGuy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies so far, I appreciate it..

I just do not know if having an iphone as well as ipad is overkill..

6. iGuyiGuy thread starter macrumors member

If you have any suggestions on where to look I would appreciate it!

7. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

You're proud of the Torch & you're a self professing "Blacberry user", why would you switch?

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Not in the med field, so I have no clue... :(

9. iGuyiGuy thread starter macrumors member

Not exactly PROUD as I think blackberry could have done more to improve the device, however I do think its a leap from the bold 9700 I was using. I just want to know if anyone has had a blackberry and made the switch and happy with it..

10. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

This is why it's good to get multiple opinions, because I personally disagree with a lot of this. I love my iPhone 4!

I love Facetime and I've used it multiple times. Wifi is not hard to come by. But this is just a luxury anyway, this wasn't any reason I used to buy the phone.

Multitasking? Spectacular. I think it works perfectly. No, it's not "true" multitasking, but it saves battery and it works flawlessly. It "pauses" the app from where it was at previously, otherwise certain apps can load or run music in the background. There's not much else I can think of that I'd need to run in the background.

Retina Display, this is where I agree with the person quoted. Looks incredible.

Antenna - non issue here. I have absolutely no antenna issue. I don't know why, but it works fine.

Lastly, I think the iPhone will do all of your emailing very easily. It's easy to type. You won't have BBM, but you have sms/mms and other messaging apps you can use.

In the end it's up to you. I agree with ideal.dreams here too. In the end it's your decision. Is it worth it?

11. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Don't get me wrong, I do love my iPhone 4 a lot. I'd much rather have it then my old 3G S.

I agree that Wifi isn't too hard to come by, but only a select few of my contacts have an iPhone 4, so regardless, I haven't used FaceTime too much :p.

You're lucky about the antenna issue, I've heard of a lot of people suffering the same issue I'm having.

12. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I hear ya man! :D All of my friends don't have the antenna issue. *shrug*

13. str8bucs macrumors regular

I got mine today and so far so good.... no antenna problem or sensor issues. i did move from the 32gb 3gs to the 4 the small increase in speed makes te phone much better.

14. Chunkycat macrumors 6502

My husband tried out a blackberry (won't lie to about the model, I just don't remember), he took it back after a couple of days, didn't like it. But he is enjoying the iPhone 4 now. He is a lawyer and relies on his phone for tons of calls and emails.
    I have a 4 too and I love it. It is a great device. I think if you get it, you won't regret. And even if you do, you will have 30 days to change your mind. Good luck!

15. chembox macrumors 6502a

Keep it. There's absolutely no true alternative to BBM for the iPhone.

Also, the email/text/phone notifications for the iPhone aren't designed to cater professionals.

16. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Well, I just had a bb torch for a few days as I was testing out for my father and have had an iPhone 4 since the day after launch. It all depends on what you want to do with the phone. The torch blows the IPhone away as a communications device, the reception, call reliability, text messaging, e-mail, and instant messaging is far greater on the torch. However as a web and entertainment device the iPhone is far greater than the blackberry, with a much better screen, more fluid and polished ui, better web browser, better games, better music/video player, and sleeker design.

I carry around 2 phones, a nokia phone for making calls and the iPhone for everything else. However if I could only carry one device and needed a reliable phone, then I wouldn't have an iPhone, I would probably have either the pre plus or the bb torch. Since you already have an iPad then it would probably be best to keep the torch, if you got the iPhone then you pretty much wasted your money on the iPad since you'll probably use the iPhone for all the iPad stuff since it's just as fast and you'll always have on you. But that's just my opinion, it all depends on how you want to use your devices.

17. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

To keep it short and dry, if you message a lot via emails, texts or anything else, keep your blackberry. If you do a lot of media consumption, like internet and ipod and youtube, then no doubt iphone.

18. rangtang macrumors member

With the 30 day return period, if you are due for an upgrade, there's no reason not to try it out if you are seriously considering it. Get a case for any concerns of reception etc.

19. DrFillster macrumors member

Iphone 4 is a great device. Unfortunately, its a really poor phone at the present. I'm a doc too and after hanging up repeatedly on the hospital I chose to go back to the 3GS.

Good luck

20. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

iGuy, you should really ask people you know that might have one and their reception strength. I've not dropped one call on my iPhone 4.

Can I ask why? What about it doesn't "cater professionals"?

21. DanggxAmanda macrumors regular

DanggxAmanda

+1

The notifications work just fine

22. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I think the antenna argument is kind of dead at this point. I have a week 31 and my girlfriend has a week 33 and both are perfect. No dead pixels, no antenna issues at all, no proximity sensor issues at all. PERFECT. :D