Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
OWC - 230-50 (trade in old sticks) = 180

pretty good price for 4 gig of ram..and it'll only go down =P

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
That must probably due to the fact that it's a build to order machine so you pay for the extra man hours and extra other costs (a reservered production line? longer hours to build a machine?) as well...

Uhmm... we're talking about OWC here, not Apple. OWC is selling the drive to you. You install it yourself... or pay an Apple authorized repair center $80 to do it.

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
OWC - 230-50 (trade in old sticks) = 180

pretty good price for 4 gig of ram..and it'll only go down =P

I'm leaning this way... but I am only hesitant because I have never had *any* problems with Crucial RAM, and I've bought from them at least six times (for different people), with no problems.

I've had problems with other vendors (such as 18004memory), and not only failures—one stick of RAM caused frequent slowdowns, and it was hard to diagnose that the RAM was the problem.

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
$50 is still kind of cheap to sell your old RAM back to them. I guess it's easier for most people than sticking them on CraigsList / eBay, though.

I would never buy used RAM (even if it was claimed to be from a new laptop...) on eBay, and there are many like me - I think $50 is a pretty fair price for a 1 GB stick, since it will have been touched by me and put in some sort of mailer.

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
I would never buy used RAM (even if it was claimed to be from a new laptop...) on eBay, and there are many like me - I think $50 is a pretty fair price for a 1 GB stick, since it will have been touched by me and put in some sort of mailer.

There may be many like you, but that's really negligible. There are many more who are not like you, as can be seen by the fact that RAM sells well on eBay (even higher than most of the "after rebate" prices seen lately).

Oh, and that's not $50 per 1GB stick. It's $25 per stick, $50 total. $50 a stick would be a great price.

coffeegonecold

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2007
If I upgraded my new MacBook Pro to 4GB would I be able to take the 2x 1GB sticks and move them over to my MacBook?

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
I'm going to be purchasing a MacBook Pro next week from the Apple store (the 2.4 GHz, 160GB 15" LED one), without any options (I don't want to order it online), and I am thinking about whether or not I should upgrade from 2 GB to 4 GB of RAM *yet.*

I would order through Crucial, as the 4 GB kit (2x2GB) only costs about $400 shipped... but should I upgrade now, or plug away with 2 GB until a later time when memory is cheaper?

I mostly browse the web, read email, and work in Dreamweaver, with iTunes running, on my iBook G4 with 640 MB of RAM, and don't run into any problems. But I also use Photoshop CS3 and Final Cut Express (non-HD) about 2-3 times a week. Would 2GB be plenty for now, or should I go all out? (Money isn't a huge issue right now...).

Unless you're multitasking with between CS3, FCE and other large programs, or using VMWare/Parallels a lot, then I think 2GB will be great. I'm getting 4GB because I need to have VMWare going at all times.

Wallace86

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
do glossy screens look better than matte for movies and games? or are matte good for that 2? :eek:

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
do glossy screens look better than matte for movies and games? or are matte good for that 2? :eek:

I don't know exactly what this post has to do with the topic... but...

Glossy screens display a little more contrast and saturation, because the colors from the pixels are being sent right through the surface. This can make movies, games, and pictures look more pleasing to the eye.

But matte screens diffuse the light a little (the surface is matted), making colors go together a little more and giving a smoother texture to a picture. Just like matte paper for photos - not as much saturation and vibrance, but still pleasing to look at.

I'd rather have glossy for movies, unless I'm in an office with big fleurescent lights that reflect off the screen.

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
Unless you're multitasking with between CS3, FCE and other large programs, or using VMWare/Parallels a lot, then I think 2GB will be great. I'm getting 4GB because I need to have VMWare going at all times.

I'll be running Parallels here and there... but I don't know if I'll be running it more than once or twice a week (and never really for games).

I think I'll wait for a month or so and make my decision then. The MBP is charging right now (I'm calibrating the battery), and then I'll dive in!

magius

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2007
i'm curious - i'm looking to sell the 1x1 gb sticks of ram the bse mbp comes with, but i'm not exactly sure what brand it is or how to post in on a site like ebay or craigslist. any suggestions on what i should call it and price points?

thanks.

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
i'm curious - i'm looking to sell the 1x1 gb sticks of ram the bse mbp comes with, but i'm not exactly sure what brand it is or how to post in on a site like ebay or craigslist. any suggestions on what i should call it and price points?

On the actual memory chip, there should be a few different numbers - one of these in a Google search is bound to find you the memory specifications.

And searching eBay for 'PC5200 RAM 1 GB' (or whatever kind of RAM you want to sell) will get you some price points—and if you do an advanced search, you can see what price others are getting for it by checking the 'Completed Items Only' button.

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
I've been using the MPB SR for a full day now, and here are my observations:

1. Holy CRUD! This thing's fast! (The fastest Mac I ever used much before this was a DP 1.8GHz G5... and my iBook G4/933MHz).

2. 2 GB RAM is working fine for me - Photoshop flies no matter what I do. I did a 63 image contact sheet earlier, at 300 dpi, and it took less than a minute to complete! (On my iBook, this kind of operation would be about 3-5 minutes).

3. The display is BRIGHT! It's like a whole new world has opened up to my eyes. And everything looks gorgeous. I have to turn it down a couple bars in order for it to be at a comfortable level in my room (which is lit by 23w (100w effective) daylight-balanced fleuorescents).

4. Everything just works. Except for my Palm Tungsten E. I can't get it to Hotsync at all - I press the Hotsync button on the Palm, and nothing happens on the computer (even after I reinstalled Palm Desktop).

daisu

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
Flushing, Queens
How much are they paying for the old ram?

Hrmm, go with OWC. That price is great (not only that, OWC will buy your 2x1GB sticks of RAM, so the price could be even better), and they are a great company to deal with - amazing customer service.

If you have any problems with the RAM, they are great about accepting exchanges or returns.

Edit:

Nevermind. 50$ for both sticks of memory. 180$ total to upgrade to 4gbs... Not bad considering how much apple wants for an upgrade to 4gbs. Hey-suess!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.