Should I mention Axiotron Quickscript HANDWRITING RECOGNITION again?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Pigumon, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Pigumon macrumors 6502

Pigumon

I posted this before and no one seemed to care:

I can't find any info on this, I'm really surprised it hasn't been mentioned. I think it's front page news.

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=quickscript

I've used it and it's amazing. It's the kind of handwriting recognition we WISH they had, and they do.

It recognizes scribbled handwriting! This is without ANY learning! Of course if your handwriting is really bad, they have a learn mode too.

It makes even more sense now with the announcement of the iPad.

2. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

For one, Evernote has said they are revamping their app for the iPad for text recognition.

Two, I don't get why you want something like text edit or word open and be handwriting long text entries. It doesn't make sense...typing is faster here.

For the iPad, I imagine using a stylus (provided by a 3rd party, they exist) in meetings where I have to jot down something quick, make diagrams, marking up text or a .pdf, that sort of thing. If somehow what I jot down can be OCR'ed and indexable, great. If not, then I'll organize it on my own.

If I'm going to be doing a lot of data entry, then I'm going to prop it using the case, and start typing or use a bluetooth keyboard.

Nothing is stopping Axiotron from using their Quickscript technology (which I don't see how it differs from inkwell) in an App for the iPad.

3. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

I like the idea of being able to scribble notes in margins or over plans, etc.

4. cinthia macrumors newbie

WOW!! I care! I've been searching for a Mac compatible Handwriting recognition solution (tablet) for 5 years now. Thanks!!

5. cinthia macrumors newbie

For one, Evernote has said they are revamping their app for the iPad for text recognition.
    Two, I don't get why you want something like text edit or word open and be handwriting long text entries. It doesn't make sense...typing is faster here.

Some of us are writers. Songwriters, authors etc and unlike office people who might sit down and write emails, proposals etc. for a period of time at the computer, we get snippets of ideas throughout the day. Writers have always been known to write some of their best ideas on napkins and other scraps of paper. Handwriting recognition would be GREAT and the sale of many PC compatible tablets with this feature shows there is a market. I think an even bigger market here in LaLa Land where I live. Everyone from creative people of all genres (screenwriters to songwriters ) use Macs almost exclusively.

For the iPad, I imagine using a stylus (provided by a 3rd party, they exist) in meetings where I have to jot down something quick, make diagrams, marking up text or a .pdf, that sort of thing. If somehow what I jot down can be OCR'ed and indexable, great. If not, then I'll organize it on my own.

Sounds great for your purposes but again, creative writing has other needs.

If I'm going to be doing a lot of data entry, then I'm going to prop it using the case, and start typing or use a bluetooth keyboard.

I agree but again you said "data entry". Creative writing is a different animal. Still I agree that the keyboard is great for all users who do have a chance to sit down and write for a period of time.

6. bossxii macrumors 68000

I hope someone creates a good handwriting app. I take far more one line notes or even taking an order for a customer in the building business is never easy to type out. To many notations, specifications etc.. writing it down (lumber lingo) is much faster than typing it out. I will gladly buy a 3rd party stylus if a good app is released.

7. vini-vidi-vici macrumors 6502

i dare you

to recognize my handwriting. It's admittedly awful, and completely inconsistent. I only use it for very quick, short notes, when there's no other alternative, and for writing greeting cards. If you want to use handwriting recognition software because you like it, etc... great. But, for me, even the best software would be no use... I just hate writing.