Should I move from iPhone 6 Plus to iPhone SE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by donwest48, Mar 19, 2017.

1. donwest48 macrumors newbie

My iPhone 6 Plus has 16 GB (I believe). General - About - Capacity is 11.69 GB.

I have 25 Applications and thousands of photos--backed up on iCloud.

I have almost zero music and games.

I am constantly running out of storage and I rarely am able to take many pictures.

The idea came to me to sell my 6 Plus and go to an SE with 64 GB.

The expected release of an iPhone 8 in 2017 makes me not want to invest in a 7 at this time.

Does going to an SE make any sense at all?

2. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

After 6 plus, you will never get used to the size of SE.

3. RetroCase macrumors newbie

RetroCase

It makes sense if you like the small size. I used an SE for a good bit, and enjoyed it - but I felt the need to have an iPad as well, which made the cheap price of the SE seem less appealing. Moving to a 7 Plus, the iPad got sold as well, as the iPhone now handles my general usage away from my Mac.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Unless your budget is tight, reverting to an SE would be hard to get used to, in my opinion. You should do some tidying up (space wise) with your phone, and wait until the new phones are announced.

5. Relentless Power, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

It's definitely a huge downsize. But I came from the SE to the 7 Plus and adjusted quite well. So, it can go both ways. But it's totally dependent on the user if they can accept the size of the phone.

6. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

It doesn't make sense to me. You surely can't need to have those thousands of photos on your phone, so why not archive a heap of them to another device (or two for security) then delete them to free up space in your phone? Should you upgrade to a phone with more capacity at some later time you can then restore the archived stuff to iCloud.

7. wproct macrumors 6502

wproct

If your decision is driven at least 50% with the desire for a smaller more pocketable phone, then maybe so. However, if your main driver is just getting more storage space, then I'm not sure you will be happy with the downsize.

8. tuan_tr1910 macrumors newbie

tuan_tr1910

At first you will enjoy the small size . But later on you will find it annoying because of the small screen size :))

9. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

I have a 6 plus that is now paid for. For me, it is a bit too big to handle and I'm using my iPad Pro to type this.
    Since this phone is still working well, I'm waiting to replace and when I do, I'm going to the smaller phone. With that said, instead of going for size of the 6, I'll go for the less expensive model. These phones are getting very expensive these days.

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Sounds like to me ur contemplating the SE for pure budgetary reasons and that is not a good reason. Whatever u do, u want 2x the memory u currently require.

11. Txguy82 macrumors regular

Txguy82

Download Google photos, backup your photos to their app and once completed, delete your photos from iCloud and delete entirely from your phone. You'll save plenty of space on your current phone for now.

How many GBs is your photos taking up right now?

12. Txguy82 macrumors regular

Txguy82

Also delete old text messages, and delete and reinstall apps that have consumed a lot of your memory and you'll get back quite a bit of space doing what I've mentioned

13. CaseyGV macrumors member

CaseyGV

I have a 16 GB iPhone 6 so I've run into the space issue myself and if I connect to iTunes and do a backup, reset, restore from iTunes, that will usually free up a pretty good chunk of space.

14. mark34 macrumors 6502a

Moving from 6 to SE was great. Most of the technical goodness and better size (for me). If you want a smaller form factor, go for it. I did not regret it. I wish they would keep a premium smaller sized phone with every release.

15. Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

I moved from a 6Plus to an SE in November and have no regrets. The smaller size is more portable and the battery easily lasts all day--but i no longer surf the web on it heavily because that does tend to drain the battery faster. It is basically--with a few minor exceptions--a smaller 6s. A lot will depend on your use case, but I do use an iPad Mini for certain applications which were too big even for the 6Plus

16. Osamede macrumors 6502a

Well said!

I went down from normal size to SE and it was too small. Then went up to plus and I can't imagine ever again playing with 4" size screen.

Don't bother is my advice. Plus is the new normal.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I say no. I could never go back to that small of a screen.

18. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I just sold my iPhone 6 Plus and moved to the SE. It's a great phone ans I like it a lot. I am considering returning the SE solely because I was just given an iPhone SE with a bad battery. I may just replace the battery and use the 6 to save $384. But I really LOVE the SE. It's awesome.

19. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

It's possible...just a matter of what your priorities are.

Don't really have to much to lose considering a 14 day return period. Just make sure you have something to fall back to if the experiment doesn't work out.

20. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Put them in your hand at the store and make the call. If you came from a 5s or earlier you probably already know whether you like the form factor or not. I'm going to the SE from a 6 soon and will be happy to be rid of the larger phone. I don't get the obsession with the screen area but probably because I use my iPhone as a tool and not a lifestyle.

21. Osamede macrumors 6502a

It's precisely the "tool" part that makes the bigger screen useful...

22. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

I have a totally spare small 5.0" backup phone, BLU R1HD, 16GB and it uses ~50% for system and next to nothing personal files thanks to Google Cloud, Docs, Sheets, Photos. Photos setting will automatically backup, archive and manage photos.

I bought ref'd iPhone 6S Plus 64GB from Apple Store. See what they have in 6S 32GB. Better value. Not much more. No 7's have turned up there.

23. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Not really. It's what you're using the tool to do that makes a difference. I'm not interested in watching videos or extended web browsing or the other things people say is their reason to have the bigger screen. I don't think there is anything bad about the big screen but I think Apple would do well to put as much effort on the small screen as they do to the big one.

24. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

The bigger screen can also be a detriment...each must decide on their own.

25. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

I've been on android with the S7. I just came back to iPhone with the SE... well i did have a stint with the iPhone 7 but i hopped back to android before saying actually i may like iPhone but not in that form.

The SE after a week? Love it to the point of forgetting the size. There have only been 3 bigger iPhone launches with blah and blah plus. The whole 'OMG iPhone is awesome and blows away the competition' has been 3.5" and 4"...

Think about that.