Should I move to Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by koulmj, Nov 3, 2013.

1. koulmj macrumors 6502

All i'm doing is playing GW2 and some steam games on my desktop. Should I upgrade to Windows 8?:confused:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are you unhappy with what you have now? Are there features in win8 that you want? I'd say if you're only playing a single game, then no.

3. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

What do you have now ? Did I missed that info ?

4. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

^As above.

Have you tried Windows 8? I ask because I found it a shock to the system. I've been using it since CP 1 and I still don't like the GUI of it. I run Stardock's Start8 and ModernMix to tame most of the Metro/Modern annoyances (there are freeware alternatives.)

The underlying O/S is good but I hate the front end. If you can, go and give it a try somewhere (a shop, perhaps?) and then see what you think of it.

Windows 8 and the removal of TechNet Plus by Microsoft have really driven my loyalties onto Apple so I'm probably not the most unbiased person to ask. ;)

5. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

No, don't upgrade. Long answer: Windows 8 does present a few problems here and there, and it definitely wasn't worth it for me. I use Windows only for gaming, and now I have to run my games in compatibility mode to still get triple buffered sync via d3doverrider (an absolute must for me). Unfortunately compatibility mode prolongs level loading times many times over, having to wait for several minutes while the game is loading the next level. This doesn't affect all games, but it happened to the games I play the most.
    The difference in gaming performance is negligible, so no, I wouldn't upgrade.