Should I not be using a keyboard cover?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JakobAloudMadge, Jul 25, 2013.

1. JakobAloudMadge macrumors newbie

I got a keyboard cover yesterday and I love it already, but I've heard quite a few people say that it can, and for them, has, damaged the screen. I'm just starting college so I'm not exactly made of money, and I'd hate to ruin my screen because of something I was uneducated about. Should I keep it on? Thanks.

2. andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

If your worried you could take it off every time you close the lid, not very convenient I know, just a thought.

3. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

4. JakobAloudMadge thread starter macrumors newbie

5. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

nonsensical statement from clueless and uneducated people, don't trust them.

retina screen is glass, keyboard covers are soft silicon material.
    what could possibly happen when those two come into contact with each other? nothing.

the worse you can get is probably transferring of oils from the KB cover to the glass, which you can easily wipe of using alcohol.

in fact, keyboard covers can prevent accidental water spills / splashes seeping under the keyboard.

6. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Indeed.. the Screen is tough enough.. and if you are worried about 'transfer of oils/dirt' off Keys to Screen, just get something like one of these..

http://www.radtech.us/products/notebookscreensavrz

I've had one in all of my MBPs since 2006.. Just give it a rinse out once in a while and it keeps things tidy!! ;)

7. Ifti macrumors 68000

I have one on my current MBA, and have used one on my previous MacBook Pro as well.

I found the Moshi ones slightly thicker then my current TPU keyboard skin. I have the TPU keyboard skin on my MacBook Air, and get no marks etc on the screen whatsoever.

8. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

If the edges of the screen still touch the base of the laptop then you are fine. just dont cram something in there that will put pressure on the screen instead of the frame.

9. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

The pressure can damage your screen. I used a keyboard cover only for a few days and I have two marks on both sides of my screen. They are barely visible (and thus not driving me too crazy) but when the screen is on all white you can see it. The marks are exactly where the edges of the keyboard cover were.

10. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

There's almost no space between the keyboard and the screen when the lid is closed on the Retinas. If there's some dust on the screen, you may see the keys drawn in there after having the lid closed for some time. Considering that this happens with no cover, think about adding something between both. I wouldn't risk it. If you're careful with your MBP, it's enough.

11. outphase macrumors 65816

I had an old MacBook with a kb cover, and the screen was permanently smudged with the key outlines. It looked terrible.

12. Achtung(Baby) macrumors member

What brand is yours?

13. Ifti macrumors 68000

Just a cheapo Hong Kong job from eBay ;)
    Seriously though, I had a Moshi before this one, and this cheap one feels so much better!