Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bob2131

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
hi
i fitted more ram into my black macbook, and when i lifted the battery out...around the batter, it was VERY filthy and dusty and loads of dirt on it.
(only had the macbook for 3 months+)

Any cleaning tips? I can see dirt going to the macbook from all sides, into qwerty keys....down below front of screen..... through the various connection sockets on left side....

(does putting the macbook to sleep, disable all wi fi airport extreme and transmitting/receiving of airwaves? I hear some people are cautios of these air frequencies (health risks)......i have the macbook in my bed when i sleep....ok? or should i power down properly? )

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
There are micro vacuum cleaner attachments that seem to be effective as well as cans of compressed air that move particles. Use caution with either product so as not to disturb the MacBooks parts and make sure it's off when you use them.

When you put your MacBook to sleep, it renders the Airport Extreme Wireless inoperable.

bob2131

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
thanks...

so shall i open up the macbook properly (out the case).... and clean like that?

or just from the outside.......

yeah ive heard about compressed air blowing method....think i might buy something like that off ebay....

better to blow the dust out like that? or vaccum sucking method?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Don't use a vacuum; they generate static which can kill your computer.

If you do use a vacuum, you need to buy a specialized one. Otherwise, compressed air should be fine.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
hi
i fitted more ram into my black macbook, and when i lifted the battery out...around the batter, it was VERY filthy and dusty and loads of dirt on it.
(only had the macbook for 3 months+)

Any cleaning tips? I can see dirt going to the macbook from all sides, into qwerty keys....down below front of screen..... through the various connection sockets on left side....

(does putting the macbook to sleep, disable all wi fi airport extreme and transmitting/receiving of airwaves? I hear some people are cautios of these air frequencies (health risks)......i have the macbook in my bed when i sleep....ok? or should i power down properly? )

Where do you use the thing , sounds like a dust factory I'm surprised at that amount of dust getting into a macbook . like others have said go with compressed air to be on the safe side.

Regarding the wifi and health issues , I air on the side of caution no matter what the company who makes a product or any of the so called safety people who over see these thing says , simply because you never know , yesterdays safe to use feature is todays health hazard !.

bob2131

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Don't use a vacuum; they generate static which can kill your computer.

If you do use a vacuum, you need to buy a specialized one. Otherwise, compressed air should be fine.

yeah... i wouldnt trust my dyson on the mac!
but i have used the dyson inside my pc...(pc switched off of course) not good?

compressed air in a can spray? so it runs out? and you have to keep buying?
cant you just fill it up with air yourself?

bob2131

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Where do you use the thing , sounds like a dust factory I'm surprised at that amount of dust getting into a macbook . like others have said go with compressed air to be on the safe side.

Regarding the wifi and health issues , I air on the side of caution no matter what the company who makes a product or any of the so called safety people who over see these thing says , simply because you never know , yesterdays safe to use feature is todays health hazard !.

i use it mostly at home, odd occasion out and about carried in rucksack....
but the dust and dirt...is mostly because its in my bed (the macbook) its usually on the next pillow when i go to sleep.... and when im sitting up in bed im using it..... (my bedroom is REAL dusty) (where does it come from? i even sneeze alot because of it.... even after a good vacuum....it comes again rapidly) (and theres so much dust behind desk etc and in hard to reach spots....impossible to vaccum unless take out desk/music equipement... just not enough space to move around..... and clean properly)

so about the wifi....safe... as in.... you power down the mac when not using?
or turn of airport when not using net? someone i know said hes gonna turn off all wirless networking in his home...because of the health risks and paranoid dangers.... cancer links possibly....... etc...... mobile phones too.... could be damaging.........and its just that i literally sleep next to my macbook.... and phone is in my bed too........so if the air waves are dangerous....im in clear danger......

(man..i bought an M-audio usb audio interface...and in the box there was a warning saying "wash hands after handling unit, as it contains cancer causing chemicals" or something along those lines..........DIDNT EVER WANT TO TOUCH IT and when i did that warning was on my mind....(sold it now)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.