Should I open week 38 ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by blueharvester, Oct 23, 2007.

1. blueharvester macrumors regular

I cancelled my order with Apple online last night and went and picked up a 16GB model in my local HMV. It's from the week 38 batch. I haven't opened this yet and was wondering if there are issues with the week 38 batch? I could order one of Amazon and bring this one back to HMV.

Or else I could open it and find that it still has issues, in which cases could I still bring it back to HMV? How do I prove to them that it's faulty?

2. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Each week gets better, but Wk 38 is by no means a "perfect" batch - some are fine, some are not. Check the HMV return policy for how much they make you prove it's bad if you have a problem.

Actually, ordering direct from Apple now is probably OK - they tend to ship (to U.S. anyway) directly from China, & newer units; it's the older ones that are in the retail channels.

3. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

Overwhelming chances are that it will be just fine in terms of the black issue. It may have some stuck or dead pixels...but I think that might be an issue on all the batches.

4. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

I won't necessarily say that's true...the later you go in production (i.e. into & past Wk 40), the more overwhelming the chance the negative black issue will be fixed. Wk 38 can still be a problem, as my own experience attests.

5. Jambo31 macrumors newbie

My week 38 is absolutely fine - no negative black issue and no dead pixels that I can see. After reading this forum I have really tried hard to find problems, but can't.

This is such an amazing piece of technology - I'm delighted with it! :D

6. SitePlan macrumors newbie

my week 38 came with version 1.1.1 and it's totally awesome.

7. aussie.damo macrumors regular

From my own experience (4 returned week 38s), I would say return it. All 4 had stuck green pixels, the first two had heaps, the second two had less. I didn't notice the negative black issue on any of them.

I finally got a week 40 and it is amazing. To my untrained eye, it looks like a totally different screen, much more comparable to the iPhone screen my mate has.

Damo

8. lakerchick4life macrumors 6502

My local apple store has week 39 ipod touches..are those better to go with? I am gonna be getting one next week, and I have been reading about all the issues with video display issues and dead pixels. When I do get one, what should I look for to make sure that it works Ok..I doubt that if I looked at it I wouldn't know if there was an issue unless it was really obvious. Also, is the 16 gig actually 16 gig, what is the actual amount..I was looking at the forum for the answer but I couldn't find it

9. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

All weeks are going to have a bad percentage, it seems that after week 37 it's about the same.

10. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

unless HMV has a no hassles return policy after opening, I'd return. I easily found 2 week 41's in Canada and they're perfect, no pixel problems. Wait for the later stock, it's not hard to find anymore.

11. duraace macrumors member

Yeah ... same here. Week 38 + iJailbreak == incredibly awesome.

12. SuperDaddy macrumors member

My 38 was fine (but unlike the other 38 above, I had to update to 1.1.1).

No black issue, or dead pixels.

13. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah so far so good! No negative black or dead pixels! I'll keep an eye out though and return it if problems arise.

It's by far the most amazing gadget I've ever had or seen!

14. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Either 14.74 or 14.84GB.

15. leckie macrumors member

I'm guessing this is a UK touch? If so look for the ones without Macy Gray on the front, when I bought my touch in currys digital they had all the macy's on one side and all the other person :p on the other, I made sure I got the other and ended up with a week 39.

16. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Macy Gray is fine in the U.S...

17. dikiem macrumors member

18. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

It's the 4th and 5th digit of the serial number found on the back of the iPod.

19. dikiem macrumors member

Ah, mine is week 41 then...cool...

20. DeadlyB macrumors member

My week 37 is fine also... the v1.1 update fixed the negative black issue completely and I have no stuck or dead pixels.

21. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I've just realised something. I said my touch was fine in that it didn't have any screen issues, but I only tested this after applying the 1.1.1 update. Is it possible that this update to the firmware has 'hidden' the hardware problem? If so is there any way I can remove the 1.1.1 update and test it?

22. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

23. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Yes, that was the purpose.

Don't think so.

24. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I got a week 39 with 1.1 installed, I updated to 1.1.1 and it ****ed my screen up! Negative blacks everywhere!

BTW - Go on to the YouTube app and search for "beautiful girls official remix" and find the video uploaded by "GODUMB51O", and if your screen is messed up you can really notice it when the picture fades in and out at the beginning.

25. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

I got a week 38 and the screen stopped responding after a week.

I exchanged it for a week 40 and found that the video quality was also better.