Should I opt out of beta updates now?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by beebarb, Sep 22, 2015.

  1. beebarb macrumors 6502

    beebarb

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2015
    #1
    I am being prompted to install the 10.11.1 beta update, but considering the GM candidate is installed on my Mac's main disk, I don't think it's a good idea to do so.

    I had originally planned to test El Capitan on an external disk, but due to a lapse in concentration when I installed the public GM candidate when it was released, it was installed on the main disk instead.

    Thankfully it has been stable, and I've had no signifigant issues.

    I am wondering if I should opt out of the pre-release update seeds now, or wait until the official release date as originally planned.

    I am also wondering if I'll have to download the installer for the release version on the release date.
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    Its up to you, since you're already running the beta as it stands. Don't you think the 10.11.1 beta may increase stability further since its primarily a bug fix.
     
  3. beebarb thread starter macrumors 6502

    beebarb

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2015
    #3
    I suppose I could install it and see what happens, though this is an unusual situation for me.
    I'll keep access to the pre-release seeds for now, and gauge the experiences of some other users before deciding whether to install it.

    I'm a little hesitant, because this is basically my only fully functional computer.
     
  4. thekayman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2014
    #4
    If I install 10.11.1 beta now, will I still be able to download the official release of 10.11 at the end of the month to do a clean install?
     
  5. beebarb thread starter macrumors 6502

    beebarb

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2015
    #5
    Yes, that should be possible.
     
  6. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

    MacGizmo

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2003
    Location:
    Arizona
    #6
    Famous last words... ;)
     
  7. thekayman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2014
    #7
    I hope you're right. Just installed the .1 beta.
     
  8. Tamagotchi macrumors 6502

    Tamagotchi

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2013
    #8
    You can disable the pre-seed notifications from the system preferences -> App Store -> then click on the Change button next to "Your computer is set to receive pre-release Software Update seeds."

    That way you won't be bothered by the Beta track anymore.

    http://www.imore.com/how-stop-receiving-yosemite-beta-notifications <- This works for El Capitan too.
     
  9. RageDaddy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2015
    #9
    I think that i am going to stick with the beta program? This iMac is only for fun and games, so if there is a major bug or two it really don't matter that much.
     
  10. beebarb thread starter macrumors 6502

    beebarb

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2015
    #10
    @Tamagotchi
    I appreciate the attempt to help, but I am not a computing novice, I noticed how to opt out right away.
    I was asking whether or not I should opt out now.
     
  11. beebarb thread starter macrumors 6502

    beebarb

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2015
    #11
    Yes, by all means, if the Mac you are using is a 'just for fun' machine, go ahead and install the beta updates.
    That's what I used to do with my iPod Touch and iOS.
     
  12. Tamagotchi macrumors 6502

    Tamagotchi

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2013
    #12
    If you opt out now, you'll prob have to clean install the official release next week anyway.

    The beta track can be quite stressful, and this year it has been quite horrendous for iOS. El Capitan, however, has been quite stable and a joy to beta test.

    I'm opting out completely after 5 years beta testing Developer Previews. WatchOS2 and iOS have been what've made me change my mind - I don't want to go through this again.
     
  13. vladobizik macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2012
    Location:
    Slovakia
    #13
    For what it's worth, I opted out of the beta program/updates when the 10.11.1 hit yesterday, as I only opted in in order to get the near-final GM candidate early. Otherwise I'm not interested in beta testing. When the final version is released next week, I'll just install that and then wait for public updates.

    What makes you think that? Last year I could install the final public version of Yosemite right on top of the testing build. I expect this year to be the same.
     
  14. beebarb thread starter macrumors 6502

    beebarb

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2015
    #14
    @Tamagotchi
    As this is my only properly functioning computer, I'll probably opt out after all, I don't trust that as good as the El Capitan betas were, that a future one won't render my computer unusable.

    I was expecting to have to install the retail release anyway, but I can't really do a clean install, in part to my only external drive starting to fail (I've had it since my older Mac, and it's seen a lot of use), so I hope I can just install the release version as though I were upgrading the OS.
     
  15. You are the One macrumors 6502a

    You are the One

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2014
    Location:
    In the present
    #15
    Yes, why not? You are not going to be punished (extra, lol) for running the beta.
     

Share This Page