Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirWill

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2021
Pacific Northwest
Ok, I switched from a Samsung to an iPhone 13 Pro Max. I have a Samsung watch. I lost the ability for ECG by switching from my Samsung phone to an iPhone. I lost the ability to unlock my phone because I'm wearing my watch.

I understand that I should be able to regain unlock via face id / apple watch while wearing a mask and I hope that holds true with my CPAP mask (nasal pillows). Is this true with any Watch model? Would I not need the most current?

I currently have no ECG or o2 readings on my Samsung watch. So an equivalent might be the SE or Series 3 to save $.

If I want to get my ECG back and gain o2 I would need a Series 6 or 7 correct? For me with my eyes bigger is always better.

I have no desire for cellular on my watch. Besides higher upfront cost there is also a T-Mobile charge to add on the watch I'm sure.

One reason I could want to save $ is I was thinking of waiting until Apple watch came with MORE health sensors like blood glucose or something. (Would LOVE that and buy in a heartbeat)

But the whole mask thing is a royal pain when I want to do stuff on my phone while laying in bed at night before going to bed and my stupid cpap mask.

So with all of that said, I'm GOING to get an Apple watch. The question is which one. $429 (45mm) 7, or $? 44mm Series 6 to get existing health features. Or Series3 $229 (42mm) to get the Apple Watch to unlock phone while wearing mask. Or Series SE $309 or a renewed watch elsewhere. What is the earliest model with the ECG and o2?

Any and all advice wanted! I also plan to get a Macbook Pro 16 M1X/M2 this fall.

sfrangu

macrumors regular
May 13, 2021
Yes, it works even with S4. It was a software update. Good luck choosing. Can’t give much advice since I am also undecided whoch one to get. But I’m sure it will be a S7 very soon.

Reactions: SirWill

SirWill

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2021
Pacific Northwest
I see they have series 4 in 44mm refurbished on apple site for $269. So that beats out Series 3 for me. And a probably savings of $160 over a 7. Gets all the same features as a 7. Just not as good of a processor I imagine. And well 44mm instead of 45mm. choices choices choices.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
If you want ECG, you’ll need S4 or newer, but you are right: if you want O2 readings, you’ll need the S6 or S7

I would personally advice against the S3, because it’s a watch with limited storage, noticeably slower and less screen than S4 and up.

If I were you, I’d look for the Watch SE or S4 for a budget option, or S6/S7 for the full features watch. It depends on your needs and your budget, but whatever you choose you can’t really go wrong, they are all great watches. If you don’t plan to change regularly your smartwatch, I’d go with S6 or S7 to future proof it

Reactions: sfrangu

SirWill

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2021
Pacific Northwest
If you want ECG, you’ll need S4 or newer, but you are right: if you want O2 readings, you’ll need the S6 or S7

I would personally advice against the S3, because it’s a watch with limited storage, noticeably slower and less screen than S4 and up.

If I were you, I’d look for the Watch SE or S4 for a budget option, or S6/S7 for the full features watch. It depends on your needs and your budget, but whatever you choose you can’t really go wrong, they are all great watches. If you don’t plan to change regularly your smartwatch, I’d go with S6 or S7 to future proof it
If I go with S7 the ONLY reason I would want to upgrade sooner than 2 years is if they came out with blood glucose health sensor on the s8 or something else really incredible. So yeah what you say makes sense to go with 6 or 7. I will see how much the 6 might go down in cost after the 7 comes out. But the more I think about it I'll be surprised if the blood glucose thing happens even on the s8.

Reactions: sfrangu

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
If I go with S7 the ONLY reason I would want to upgrade sooner than 2 years is if they came out with blood glucose health sensor on the s8 or something else really incredible. So yeah what you say makes sense to go with 6 or 7. I will see how much the 6 might go down in cost after the 7 comes out. But the more I think about it I'll be surprised if the blood glucose thing happens even on the s8.
Yeah the glucose monitoring seems to be a long shot, I’m not even sure we will see this on the S9 or S10, so I would not hold my breath for that

ninaco

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
VA
I’m in a similar position. I have the series 2 which can’t be paired with the iphone 13. I have been looking for a series 6, hoping to get a discount. But, without success. I have seen the Product Red watches discounted, but no real discounts on other colors.

I’m leaning towards a refurb 6 at this point. The release of the series 7 has been so outside Apple’s norm that I don’t trust the product.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I see they have series 4 in 44mm refurbished on apple site for $269. So that beats out Series 3 for me. And a probably savings of $160 over a 7. Gets all the same features as a 7. Just not as good of a processor I imagine. And well 44mm instead of 45mm. choices choices choices.
That’s one is your best purchase. You’ll get ECG and face unlock. No O2 though.
FWIW, I’m using S5 which has more or less the same processor and it runs very fine.

SirWill

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2021
Pacific Northwest
So yeah, I went full S7 this morning, and should be getting my new watch on the 15th. Thanks for the feedback. I should be happy with this new watch for 2 years or more and I highly doubt the new health features I want will be released before I'm ready for a new one.

Again I appreciate everyone who helps educate me.

lockerc18

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2012
I've never had an Apple Watch, and was looking forward to finally getting one with the S7. But... not without the glucose sensor. I was really excited about that. Maybe the S8 will have it.

SirWill

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2021
Pacific Northwest
I've never had an Apple Watch, and was looking forward to finally getting one with the S7. But... not without the glucose sensor. I was really excited about that. Maybe the S8 will have it.
I need the iPhone / Watch paired unlock feature. I also will enjoy what health features it has. I don't think the glucose will hit the S8 if it does, I'll kick myself and buy it. My thought is S9 if we are lucky.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
So yeah, I went full S7 this morning, and should be getting my new watch on the 15th. Thanks for the feedback. I should be happy with this new watch for 2 years or more and I highly doubt the new health features I want will be released before I'm ready for a new one.

Again I appreciate everyone who helps educate me.
Congrat!
I doubt it. That would be a kind of medical breakthrough almost like what Theranos hoping to have. I think we’re still a few years away, AT LEAST, for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.