Should I or shouldn't I get the 6s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by starzilla, Oct 12, 2015.

1. starzilla, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015

starzilla macrumors newbie

starzilla

I am rocking the iPhone 5s, and ready for up grade, my concern is "Chipgate" if I am going to pay full retail price for a phone I shouldn't have to be concerned with problems, but I am. I could just get the 6 and be happy for a while but I have always gotten the s models..now chip gate..it is said it a 60/40 split.. I'm not a power user and it rarely in plugged, in the car or at home.. So the question remains..should I or shouldn't i

STARZILLA

UPDATE: Thank you all for your input, got the 6s and as my luck would have it..samsungs chip..but honestly I don't notice a difference, it really fast and with 64gigs, I have room to spare and then some, still learning the systems , but the 3D Touch is amazing..another case of media and apple haters ..

2. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

yes, you should....as the difference between those two is just marginal...

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

First let me say that I'm tired of people appending gate to the end of anything that might sound like a problem.

Secondly, the chip issue is minor and the differences are small enough that most people won't even know or care. Get the phone and enjoy it :)

If you don't want the 6s, then what ether one will you get? The 6?

4. CraigGB macrumors regular

the whole chip situation isn't a problem as such, there is no bad chip, both meet Apple's advertised specs, it seems one chip might be better but it is still early days on that.

the way I see it is if you wanted the phone before this whole chip thing when Apple said it still had the same battery life as last generation then why would you suddenly not want the phone just because there is a chance you might get one that was advertised or one that is better then advertised if that makes sense :p

think of the Samsung chip as the phone Apple advertised and the TSMC phone might be better then Apple advertised.

just my view on it :)

5. James6s macrumors regular

James6s

Any iPhone 6S or 6S+ you get will come with the A9 chip meeting Apples specifications, go for it... :rolleyes:

6. Skika macrumors 68030

Get the 6S, never bother to check which chip you have and just enjoy the phone.

7. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I'd say just get the 6S, and completely forget about the chipgate and just use your phone normally. I have a samsung chip on my 6S Plus and I can get my Usage Stats to 16 hours of usage when it goes to 1%. So none issue for me.

You can also get a bad TSMC, good TSMC, bad Samsung or good Samsung.

8. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

If you are so concerned, wait for a month before getting the 6S. The dust will be settled by that time, and you'll see more clearly whether it is some worth worrying about.

9. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

Get the 6s. You would seriously pay all that money for an old generation device, when for $100 more you could get the newer one? This "gate" nonsense is out of hand and who's to say the processor in the 6 draws more or less power than any variant of the 6s. My guess is that the variation from one chip to another from the same manufacturer overlaps with whatever the difference is and people will spend countless hours wasting time trying to prove the unprovable. By and enjoy the 6s. its the best iPhone ever!

10. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

If you're asking this question on a message board, you already know the answer.

11. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

If you are on a subsidy-contract plan; then go get it. No point in paying your carrier for nothing. If you are not on contract, and your phone is paid off; then evaluate if your current phone is meeting your needs - makes calls, web browsing, battery life etc. There will always be something more shiny and newer than what you have; but if your current phone is doing the job - there is nothing better than saving the money for something else and getting a new iPhone 7 in a years time (when you may really need to upgrade).

12. scaredpoet, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Well, you shouldn't be. At best, there are certain situations (which you'll likely never encounter) that make a certain chip perform slightly better than Apple's intended spec. Unfortunately, people have assumed that because this is the case, the other chip is "defective" somehow. It's not.

The situation has been explained many times. People actually get "defective" chips all the time, in their desktop and laptop computers. Do you have a computer with an Intel i3 or i5? Guess what? Those are chips that made it through the fab process but didn't meet specifications to become an i7. Does that mane you should return your laptop or desktop? No. It just means Intel found a way to market chips that don't perform quite as well as the cream of the crop, but still do a good job.

In either case, Even the worst Samsung A9 on its worst day will far outperform the A7 your 5S. So, get it. Be happy. And don't concern yourself with who made the chip in your phone, because it doesn't matter.

13. gollum macrumors regular

I have been quite impressed with my battery life on my 6S+ and I have the Samsung chip FWIW.

14. nanotoj macrumors regular

nanotoj

Well said...

15. nutmac macrumors 68040

If "chipgate" is the only issue with iPhone 6s (and 6s Plus), it is by far the least controversial phone of all iPhones.

16. starzilla thread starter macrumors newbie

starzilla

Got it thanks..and loving it