Should I or shouldn't I?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Thebutchersboy, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Thebutchersboy macrumors newbie

I have a 27" iMac, ipad2, and an iphone4s. I extensively blog. I am about to start an online journal club of which I feel I need the extra processing power of a MBA or MBP.
    Considering my hardware already, do I need to really purchase a shiny laptop as well? Am I just being greedy, or am I under estimating the power of my iOS devices?
    Thanks.

2. roanmartigan macrumors member

It depends. Do you wish to be seen updating your blog at *Starbugs* or you are fine doing it in the privacy of your own home.

"extra processing power" for an "online journal club". Sigh. Sorry for sounding like a d*ck, but do you have any idea what computers' processing power is used for ? Essentially: 1) higher fps on CoD; 2) manipulation of large arrays of data with Excel or Access; 3) math. If you're a geek, 4) SETI@home.

There is no amount of "online journaling" (whatever that is) which will even come remotely close to putting your imac on its knees.

3. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

It all comes down to if you want to be mobile. I have both an iMac and MBP, one of the unfortunate side effects of having both is that I hardly use my iMac anymore. That being said, if you want to go mobile then you can't go wrong with a nice 13" MBP the dual core i5 will be plenty for you, and unless you really really want a bigger screen then there isn't much point to paying the premium for it, you'll never come close to needing an i7 let alone a quad core i7. As I said earlier though, once you get your MBP be prepared to neglect you iMac its almost inevitable.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Totally agree here, you don't need any extra "Grunt" You are limited by bandwidth and your Internet connection....I'm running a 27" custom iMac with 16GB Ram, it never redlines, if you WANT a new laptop then I'd wait until the refresh and consider a 15" MBP, but need? No.

5. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I blog too & I have really enjoyed having my MBA to take with me when I'm covering live events. Went to Pax East this past weekend & the MBA is so much lighter than my last notebook,it was a pure joy to carry & use.

6. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    You should!

7. yongren macrumors regular

Macbook Air might be better than iPad for writing on the go.

Between an iPhone and an MBA, I don't see much point keeping the iPad... especially if you have an iMac too. But that is just my opinion, some here may strongly disagree