Should I or Shouldn't I???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gazfocus, Apr 24, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I have been looking to buy a Mac Pro for some time and although, I won't be buying it for another 2 months, I just wonder whether it's actually worth it?

I currently use a 2.16GHz C2D MBP (15") with a 23" ACD. I do image editing, web design and some video editing.

I know I don't need the power of a Mac Pro but I need the expandability (for hard drives, etc), and will be looking at the quad core Mac Pro (but depending on finances, may pay the extra £300 for the 2nd CPU).

Will I notice alot of difference in performance between a Mac Pro and my MBP? This may sound a stupid question, but I've only really used Mac OS on my MBP.

Thanks

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yes, you should notice a worthwhile difference - both in terms of disk access and performance for CPU/GPU-intensive tasks - especially with heavyweight apps such as Photoshop, although it's not going to be a 'night and day' difference as it were.

Not suggesting that the Mac Pro is anything less than excellent - they're great machines. It's just that a MBP is remarkably good at handling quite heavy-duty tasks =]

3. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks.

Would I be better off buying the quad core or octo?

4. faumble macrumors regular

5. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

I have both MBP and MP. HUGH difference. However, for me, one can not be a substitution for the other.

6. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Which Mac Pro do you have? I don't think the MP would be a substitution for the MBP but as a student, I can't afford to spend money if it's not necessarily needed if you know what i mean. Thanks

7. krye macrumors 68000

krye

8. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Whether to go for 4 or 8 cores really depends on your needs. From what you say in your post, I suspect a Quad will do all you need.

9. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

A quad-core would suit you fine, I've got a dual-dual core Mac Pro (2006 model) and it runs rings around any of the laptops I've seen speedwise. The 8-core would be more capable, but for your needs, it doesn't seem absolutely necessary.

10. thedommer macrumors regular

8 core would probably hold its value better in case you want to sell in the future...

11. Soop53 macrumors regular

Soop53

I debate long on the merits of a powerful computer as the 8 core Mac Pro verse a iMac or Mac laptop. I decided to go for it...it was the best decision I ever made concerning a computer.

I LOVE IT!!!