Should I order a new Mac Book Pro this week?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bchamorro, Dec 31, 2007.

1. bchamorro macrumors regular

Hi guys this is my first post here.

My cheap Sony Vaio PC died and now I need a new computer (I am switching to Mac).

Should I order a new Mac Book Pro this week or should I wait for a processor upgrade? I currently don't have a computer.

What should I do? If I decide to wait, how long am I going to have to wait?

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I doubt the MBP's will receive a processor upgrade at MacWorld, but you never know. I'd wait two weeks until after MacWorld,(it's the 15th, i believe) and then see what is coming.

Unless you don't really care about a processor upgrade or an "ultra portable" MBP, then you can go ahead and order. The MBP's are great machines as it is, and most likely if you order now, you won't miss out on anything big.

3. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

If you said you currently don't have a computer and are in NEED of one, I would just pull the trigger now and get one. I would also suggest getting a refurbished model to save you the bucks and to decrease the risk for problems. Just my 2 cents, good luck and Happy New Year!

4. brokenlighter macrumors member

I am almost in the same boat as this guy.

I at the moment do not have a computer of my own. But there is one I am able to use daily for general stuff.

I am not at all interested in a ultraportable or any other junk.

But I think I am going to wait till the 15th anyway.

Just In case there is something new for the MBP.

But I really would like to have a computer of my own right now.

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I really doubt an upgrade for the processor, as Santa Rosa is pretty recent.
    However, a speed bump is more likely, though maybe only by 200 Mhz or so (Hardly Noticeable)

I'd suggust you buy now, but thats just me.

6. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Wait to see what Apple does at MacWorld at all costs.

Then decide if its worth it to wait to get a new new laptop or get last years model.

7. bchamorro thread starter macrumors regular

I don't care about the ultra portable either...
    What about Perynn?

I think I might just go ahead and pull the trigger this week.

8. brokenlighter macrumors member

The only thing thats stopping me is that I've already waited this long, Why not wait only 2 more weeks.

And If I did buy one now and I miss out on something cool after macworld. I would hate myself.

And I've already waited this long. If I am going to get one now, I might as well have a month ago.

9. iBookG4 FTW macrumors member

iBookG4 FTW

I think there's been some debate about it, but I don't think they'll put it in the mac book pros.

I'm probably wrong tho, I don't really follow the mac book pros

10. brokenlighter macrumors member

Why buy now?

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You never know what will be out and if you can wait 2 weeks do it.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you have any other computer that you can use, which since you are posting here it seems you do, then wait until Macworld. It's not that long, and if there is an update you will be able to get it, or get a better deal on refurbs of the current Gen.

13. bchamorro thread starter macrumors regular

alright!

I will wait!

but... will Apple start shipping the 'new' macs the next day after Mac World?

14. Osprey macrumors 6502

According to the most recent rumor is sounds like an upgrade is entirely possible, but no one knows for sure. Either way you will own an awesome laptop. You are only looking at two weeks so maybe it is best to wait it out, but no one cn answer that for you except you. I know it is a hard decision, but know one can tel you which is the best solution for you.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Depends what they announce. It might be a week or 2 or the same day.

16. Osprey macrumors 6502

That will probably depend entirely on what if any update and what specs you order. I waited over six weeks for mine this summer, but it was worth it!

17. brokenlighter macrumors member

If you buy the MBP now you get a free printer.

That is a +

18. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Atleast if you wait until the 15th youll know what to expect with delivery etc...

Theres no point in buying something 2 weeks before a newer model is released that wont be updated for say atleast 6 months!

Aswell as waiting you will get a cheaper price on a Currrent MacBook Pro as the current models will become refurbs!

You either save cash or get a Top Top TOP of the line laptop!

19. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

I've been waiting for this since about September.

20. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

Thats about the same for me.

If you really need it now, I would buy it because if something new comes out you can return it. I think I heard in the past, if Apple announces a new computer within 14 days of your purchase they wil replace it with the newer one without the restocking fee. Don't hold me to this because I do not know for sure.

21. shoppy macrumors 6502a

If you buy it through the internet you get your 14 days buyers remorse. I have a new 17" arriving or my wife tomorrow. I am not that fussed about new stuff coming out as I will get it in time anyway.

22. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

since you dont have a computer right now

id say just buy

Mac World is still like 14 days ahead and after MW, prolly you will still have to wait for around a week or so until the new product hit the store ( that is, if Apple release new MBP )

i dont know with you, but i wont last even 4 days without internet or a computer

but if you can live without computer for 2 weeks, well then wait

but fyi, even with the newer penryn processor, you wont even feel the difference with the current 2.4 MBP Santa Rosa

so dont really expect a real "big" change

because all remains as it is ( speed bus and ram and (vga - most likely)

23. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

If you can wait, wait a couple a weeks to at least know what the deal is. However, if you purchase one now it will still be a wonderful computer.

24. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

the only thing that can make me sell my current 2.4 GHz MBP is if they installed the Geforce 8800 GTX with 256 ddr3 on the penryn one

i will definitely sell mine right away :D

25. philgilder macrumors 68000

wait two weeks if you can
    even if there is a 200mhz speed bump (theres likely to be more) then youll have got an extra 200mhz for the same price
    although that wont make a huge difference, it will make one. and its likley there will be an update so...