Should I Order iPhone 3Gs from AT&T or Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DocDoom, Jun 21, 2009.

1. DocDoom macrumors regular

Im about to get my first iphone 3gs..Should i order the iphone 3gs from at&t or apple? Which one has better packaging? or does this not matter??

2. bwells2610 macrumors newbie

In my experience over the past few days, apple has their act together, while AT&T does not! Also is seems that Apple stores in my area have plenty of inventory, and the AT&T stores seem to have very limited supply.

I was pleased with my activation and support from the folks at apple, but from several people that I talked to, AT&T was not as pleasant of an experience.

3. iphonics macrumors member

i wouldnt go to either... go to bestbuy, futureshoop etc... they'll take care of you better!

i just upgraded my 3G to the 3GS and they threw in a bluetooth handsfree and car charger FREE!... plus they gave me an UNLIMITED warranty... unlike the warranty apple or rogers/att give you!!

its worth a look.. but its your choice in the end.

Be a man.... Do the right thing!

4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I've had quite the opposite experience, I was in and out of the AT&T store within 10 minutes, I was by the Apple Store today and the line was completely wound all through the store and then out the door. Check if AT&T has it in stock, if they do ... Just get it there. They both come in the same box.

5. dfnj123 macrumors 6502

I've interacted with both of launch day and had no issue with either of them... :D (sorry to everyone who had problems)

I would go with what ever is more convenient to you. If you are ordering online, both sites are easy to use.

6. DocDoom thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah im ordering online...Just was wondering which one has better shipping Times, and packaging..

7. Knoxville3G macrumors member

Ordered mine from Apple online and it was very securely packaged. Go the Apple online route. You should have a better chance at getting it shipped much faster (probably directly from China), and can upgrade your shipping time too (for a price).

Good luck! Enjoy the 3G-S!

8. MavsX macrumors member

MavsX

i would not order through at&t..here is a copy and paste of what is going on with me and AT&T....

dudes wtf. i preordered two iphones via premier on June 9th! i still have not been charged on my credit card. I have not received any emails as far as shipping or if there have been any problems. I called at&t twice last week and they said there was nothing wrong with my order. But that they didn't know why it hadn't shipped. Also, because it had not shipped out, i could not get a tracking number for it. Calls this weekend all ended with AT&T telling me there was a technical problem and would hang up on me. Calls this morning same thing. Hang up on me, their chat function is not working.

WTF, how do i get support man? Anybody have some ideas!?

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't know about you but first, I wouldn't answer an e-mail that started with "dudes wtf" and ended with "WTF, how do i get support man?"

However, I have bought one from AT&T and one from Apple and found the Apple experience to be slightly more of a headache to be honest. Even with AT&T pushing accessories one me.

10. nezff macrumors regular

i got mine from the apple store online. it was here overnight

11. MavsX macrumors member

MavsX

hey, it's cool. at&t sucks. me saying wtf is because this has been a nightmare, and i wish i would have not preordered and i wish i would have just walked my ass into a store and bought it on june 19th....but...thanks for saying hey!

12. joro macrumors 68020

joro

I pre-ordered through AT&T online and got my phone on launch day from them, although I know many have had problems. If you are going to do an online pre-order I would probably recommend going through Apple though since they seem to have been more consistent on shipping and turnaround times.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You have a choice in carriers and you have a choice in carriers while keeping the iPhone, if AT&T sucks that bad. I happen to be in agreement with you on that one. However, between the bitches complaining about their 2 year contract being enforced (though now not so much) and the overall sleuth of people who suddenly decided that $100 for an iPhone was worth it (3G), I am not surprised AT&T dropped the ball and there are reports of Apple doing similar. So suffice to say, walking your ass into a store would have been helpful no doubt.

Oh and hey.

14. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

You're going to find people with their own horror/success stories on both sides of the fence. My generic opinion is that if you need anything other than new phone server or replacing the handset on the same service, the Apple Store is fine. However, if you need *any* assistance with your phone service then go to AT&T.

For me the preorder line at AT&T was six people long (including me) at 8 AM. The first come line was about 15 long at that point. A guy came over from the Apple Store and said it was crazy busy with about 200 people in line.

YMMV. Good luck!

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If you are new to ATT then go over to Fatwallet and take a look at the iPhone discussion. Basically if you order online w/ ATT through BING you'll get something like 35% cash back. It's only good for new customers though.

Otherwise I'd order though BestBuy and get Reward Zone points. It's not much, but more than ATT or Apple offer.

16. MavsX macrumors member

MavsX

i want to put a bullet in my head.

and the G D mods over at the ATT forums keep editing my posts.

what is the big deal about posting the at&t's ceo's information? You can find it on google, and he needs to know about pissing off a bunch of brand new at&t customers! Maybe he can help!? I mean, all their G D phone lines aren't working, my iphone is in BFE, and i don't know where to turn...and btw i ordered on June 9th!

17. teduardo macrumors newbie

I would suggest finding a store with stock, that would be your only guaranteed way of getting a phone soon.

If you must order online, I'd go with Apple. AT&T is still working through a backlog of pre-orders (it looks like they are up to June 16th right now), so it may be awhile before they have a phone for you. I'm not positive on the situation with Apple or how long their backlog is, if any, but I have read posts from people who have ordered through Apple more recently than the 16th and they already have tracking numbers.

Again, this is only online, some of the AT&T and Apple stores still have stock.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've purchased my 3G at ATT and the transaction was smooth, seamless and they were quite helpful. They will try to sell you their accessories but the lack of selection and quality means you probably should hit the apple store for them.

19. Sanveann macrumors 6502

Sanveann

You'd have to call around in your town, but in my city, all the AT&T stores are sold out. I have a 1-2 week wait for my phone to come in.

20. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

That's a very good strategy from Bestbuy. They must want more and more people buying iPhone at Bestbuy. However, it would have been better if they made such a good deal nationwide.