Should I organise on import or later?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrMister111, Oct 2, 2012.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

At the moment most of my photos are not in iPhoto, they are sort organised in folders by date/events, eg Holiday 10, Xmas 11 etc

I have recently joined Crashplan, although I also use Time Machine.

So at the moment CrashPlan isn't backing up them folders just my iPhoto library.

So as I have loads of photos to import still, should I just import them all to iPhoto now and organise later so they are backing up, or will that be to disorganised to do. Or should I import them folder at a time, organise/tag/faces/places etc and let it backed up piece meal?

I have them backed up on an external HDD, but obviously want them backed up online.

Cheers

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

When you import into iPhoto, your pictures will be arranged in time/date order. If you import the whole lot at once, you'll have go go through them manually to re-create you current system.

I'd import a folder at a time. Your photos will appear in the Last Import section, and then you can create an Album or Folder for them, and then import the next Folder, and so on.

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

yeh I think I would rather import one/two at a time, its just I wanted them to be saved in cloud asap as well. They are on my NAS and a seperate external USB for now, but be happier once in cloud too. My iTunes is now in cloud, once my iPhoto is too, I'm sorted, anything else can just be re-downloaded etc

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Have you considered Aperture? It is a spectacular product. You can import your photos and Aperture can be set to import each of your existing folders into a new project.

Projects are the basic building block of Aperture.

BTW: Great move on getting Crashplan.

/Jim