Should I panic?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MST, Feb 24, 2008.

1. MST macrumors 6502

MST

I logged onto my iMac earlier on and an MSN conversation window appeared as if a friend was sending me a file and asking whether it was ok to upload it to Facebook, I accepted and upon receiving I foolishly tried to open .zip file which in turn created a document file that could not be opened.

I have since found out that this is highly likely to be some kind of worm, should I be worried about it on my Mac?

2. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

i really wouldn't worry! if it was anything evil, it would have asked you for a password!

3. methodmano macrumors member

I doubt you'll have any issues. I would google the filename though just to be sure.

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

No, you're absolutely fine. At the moment your mac is immune to those sort of things. :)

5. MST thread starter macrumors 6502

MST

Cheers for the reassurance guys, now I know why I've set up a standard account to use on a day-to-day basis as opposed to using an administrator account, I realize Macs generally are pretty safe from stuff like this but you can't help but worry :(

On a slightly brighter note; I just ordered myself an 8GB iPhone, which should tide me over until the 3G model comes out later this year, and it also gives me something to fiddle with in the mean time :D

6. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

lol

but yeah your mac will be fine