Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
Moving from Windows where I'm reasonably proficient, but I'm a Mac Noob.
If I was getting a new Win PC first thing I'd do would be to partition the usual stupidly large C: drive, to separate the OS from the user data, so that should a reinstall be needed, the data stays untouched. Or conversely, should something happen to my data, I can get that from backup without affecting system files.
Googling shows contradicting advice and no clear recommendations on whether this is necessary, beneficial or even pointless with Mac and some of the advice seems quite old and possibly no longer relevant but I can't tell.
If it makes any difference, its likely that at some time I'll be installing Bootcamp or Parallels.

So, do the readers of these forums have a consensus on 'best practice' and if it is deemed beneficial, if I don't format at install time will that make it more difficult later or does it make no difference?

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
I don't see any reason to do so.

1) Chances are you won't have to format.
2) If you do have to format, you ought to have a Time Machine backup to fall back on.
3) Reinstalling Mac OS X includes an "Archive & Install" option, which keeps your data intact.

And yes, you can repartition your hard drive at any time with no data loss and without even having to restart your computer.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
I don't see any reason to do so.

1) Chances are you won't have to format.
2) If you do have to format, you ought to have a Time Machine backup to fall back on.
3) Reinstalling Mac OS X includes an "Archive & Install" option, which keeps your data intact.

And yes, you can repartition your hard drive at any time with no data loss and without even having to restart your computer.

Nice, one less hassle. Thanks guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.