Should I pass on the AppleCare Protection on a new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andyberger87, Jun 11, 2008.

1. andyberger87 macrumors newbie

It is worth getting it, since I have had my current PB G4 for 3.5 years and nothing has happened to it? Thanks.

2. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

Like I said in another posting:

"It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have."

3. viggen61 macrumors 6502

I would not buy one without AppleCare. If nothing else, it saves you from having to dig out your wallet on Day 91 just to talk with somebody at Apple about your computer.

:apple::apple:

4. johngardiner macrumors regular

I think it's worth it... there's so much that can go wrong with a laptop due to its size, heat and whatnot. Post 2 said it right that you'll be extreemmelly thankful if you buy it and need it somewhere down the line

5. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

you can...

... pick up the Applecare later if you do not want to spend the $$ when you purchase the notebook. Overall, insurance is a good thing to have and that is basically what your buying.:apple:

6. faust macrumors regular

faust

Yeah, I wish I had bought Applecare sooner. I'll be doing it within the next twenty days as my warranty expires on the 1st, but still, the point remains.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

on desktops i always wait and if nothing goes wrong i skip it.

with a laptop i will always get it because of the smaller form factor and parts and well more chance for things to go bad. i'd rather be safe than sorry.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I typically don't buy extended warranties from stores because they usually represent pure profit for the retailer. There are only two cases where I do, and one of them is Apple. My MBP is critical to my business and I can't afford to be without it. While they're extremely well built, with heat and moving a notebook computer around a lot, anything can happen, and not just in the first year. To me, it's more important than a bigger hard drive, more RAM or other accessories, which can always be added later, if money's tight.

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If you do get Applecare I would go through Amazon.com or Ebay and save some money. Just make sure you buy the proper one for your computer as different Mac models have different Applecare plans and pricing.

10. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

From my personal experience on having a MBP since they first came out, I would highly recommend purchasing AppleCare. My first MBP had some serious problems with it, and was eventually replaced under AppleCare with a new MBP last year. I have AppleCare on every piece of Apple hardware I own just in case something happens down the road.

11. TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

AMEN!

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

I got AppleCare for my MBP about 6 months ago, when its one year warranty was about up. I bought it from eBay for like $160.

Used it yesterday. My MBP's battery, over the last week, dropped from 2 hours on a full charge to 30-40 minutes. It only had 255 cycles, so AppleCare overnighted me a new battery for free. That saved me $129.

Far as I'm concerned, it paid for itself right there.

13. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

I have a follower!

14. rontheancient macrumors regular

Here is a little story:

I had a PB G4 from 2005, and the AppleCare is up in Nov. About a month ago I took it to the Genius Bar to get a screen flickering problem fixed, but since they dont have the part on hand, they send it to a repair depot. About 2 weeks went by and no word until one day I got a call: "The part we are trying to replace doesn't exist anymore, so we are giving you a MacBook Pro". Granted, your mileage may vary with AppleCare, but I would rather have it than not.

15. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

I guess I'm one of the few that thinks no

My impression was, if something was going to break, it would break in the first year, and therefore be covered under warranty. Luckily this proved true in my case with only battery replacements after 5 years for my 12" PB. It's a gamble for sure. Keep in mind that the fix has to be worth more than $350 and the cause must not be abuse for it to be worth it. $350 isn't worth 2 batteries even.

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

That's why a lot of people here buy their AppleCare from eBay or a reseller that sells it for a lot less than Apple's MSRP. ;)

17. faust macrumors regular

faust

The jerks at the store told me they would repair my laptop in-store and are now sending it to the repair center because they can't fix it there. I mean, hey. that would be fine if you informed me first. Don't give me **** like, "You're upset because you'll get your laptop repaired faster?". I mean, seriously. Of course I want it repaired faster but it would be nice to be informed of where my $2000 piece of equipment is going.

I suppose I can't expect perfection from technical support.

18. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I would wait till you have had the MBP for eleven months, then decide.

I bought my MBP the first week of July last summer and have not had one problem with it. I got a letter in the mail from Apple this week telling me the warranty is about to expire and I will not be buying Apple care.

I've also purchased three other Macs since March and I doubt I will buy Apple care for those either.