Should I pay extra for MB Pro with replacement computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by swingerofbirch, Mar 31, 2009.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I know this question has been beaten to death, but I still can't decide really and I feel my situation is slightly unique.

I had a unibody MacBook which I thought was the greatest most solid feeling computer I'd ever owned. I didn't recall having any issues with the screen. However, it had major start up issues which got worse to the point where it just wouldn't start up and so Apple sent me a replacement. The replacement never felt as solid. The screen hinge has a good deal of play and most annoyingly the screen is just not right. I mean the things that I can put into words are that it flickers a lot at lower brightness, if you look on the left side of the screen there is just plain bright light coming out where the panel is apparently separated from the enclosure. And beyond that the screen at any brightness is just somehow jarring to the eyes. I don't know how to put it into words. I find myself looking away from it a lot.

So, Apple agreed to replace it. So, I asked about the possibility of upgrading to a MacBook Pro. I was kind of feeling the waters. They said I could pay to upgrade to a MacBook Pro.

So I went to the stores to look at them side by side. The MacBook screen definitely looks duller than the MBP but it didn't look bad like the one I have now. But I haven't been able to get it out of my head that the MBP would give me a much better likelihood at getting a better screen--I feel like the MB is kind of like playing the lottery now. The reason I like the MB is the size which is perfect and also that I already have a great bag that I want to keep using which won't fit the MB Pro. If I could fit the MB Pro in this bag I might just go for it. But I know that seems like a silly reason. I also use my MacBook in bed a lot and wonder if I would feel as comfortable with a larger computer.....

I've really been on the fence, sorry I know I am repeating a lot of what has been said before....

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

go for the pro!!

3. MacGeek767 macrumors member

MacGeek767

it really depends on your needs:

if you just need a basic computer with basic things, go for the MacBook...

if you need the extra power, larger screen, and extra ram & memory, go for the pro...

i'd recommend a pro myself, even though I use a regular macbook (when I go to college, though, i'm getting a pro)

4. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Go for the pro, as advised a better machine all around.

5. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Well, I still haven't made up my mind. You all are saying the Pro has more memory faster processor, etc, but that's not necessarily the case. The MacBook I have now is the unibody 2.4 GHZ model with 4 GB of RAM. So paying the difference between this model and the low-end MacBook would cost $300 for the same processor and less RAM. Of course you get discrete graphics, though.

I am not so interested in the power, the concerns I have are more about size and screen quality. And I kind of have a thing about wanting to go all the way with something, so like going for the 2.66 GHZ model with the faster hard drive. It's a psychological thing. I kind of like having the high-end MB, and would like a higher end MBP after making the size sacrifice already, but that means even more money. I could try to convince them that they should at least upgrade me to the base MBP model as I lost Firewire in the replacement before the last two replacements, as I originally had a black MacBook with FireWire. And maybe if they would give me that I could then offer to pay the difference between that and the 2.66 GHZ. I know wishful greedy thinking.

I just wish the MacBook had a better screen! Like I said, I still have this nice bag for it, that fits the MacBook perfectly. If I knew I could get the better of the two panels on the MB that would help a bit. Thanks for the advice though.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Go for the basic. Replacing a hd is easy, peasy. Cheaper to get one and install it yourself. Wait for ddr3 ram to come down in price and do that too for cheaper later on.

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

it is a simple equation: is your piece of mind + the higher quality screen > your need to save money. that is a question only you can answer. personally the screen quality alone is worth the money for me. i do use an ACD but i travel a lot and couldnt stand having a crumby screen.

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

If you think the macbooks are great, wait until you get your claws on the mbp. :p

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes the MacBook Pro supposedly has a better panel.