Should I pull the trigger and buy a Thunderbolt Display for my 13" MacBook Pro Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I love my 13" MBPr because of its portability and speed for everyday use, but I do miss using a big screen.

So at home I hook it up to a 20" Dell monitor. Recently I've been watching Youtube videos on the thunderbolt display and it looks stunning.

I was thinking of either getting a refurbished one or one off eBay??

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Only reason not too is that it hasn't been updated for quite some time and an improved model might be on the horizon. With the Mac Pro supporting 4k displays, some expect Apple to release something.

If the Dell works ok you might consider waiting unless you can get a good deal on one on eBay or Craigslist. If a new model comes out there should be a significant price drop on the older displays.

3. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

i have no idea why apple is twiddling their thumbs about this. the least they can do is update the IO. For crying out loud you still need a power adapter for the monitor (for newer computers)

USB 2.0, thunderbolt 1. I don't even care about form factor. It's borderline obnoxious.

4. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

The Dell is working fine. I actually got it as a gift for free too so that makes it even sweeter.

Do you know when they might introduce the new one? Same time as iPhone in a couple months maybe?