Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1iam5mith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2013
UK
I'm currently on a 1 year access course, and had offers for uni in September. ...

I have ocd and will not touch any of the computers in the college... eww not a chance....

Only one other person on my course brings their own laptop in

I know I will need a laptop for uni, but can't decide if I should buy now or wait for uni?

I would buy on buy now pay later for a rMBP 13, and pay off in full when I get maintenance grant and loan through. ...

It would be nice to have all my college notes typed up instead of hand written all the time... my handwriting is awful ... and would do my credit rating good...

What do you think, but now or wait til August time?

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
I'm currently on a 1 year access course, and had offers for uni in September. ...

I have ocd and will not touch any of the computers in the college... eww not a chance....

Only one other person on my course brings their own laptop in

I know I will need a laptop for uni, but can't decide if I should buy now or wait for uni?

I would buy on buy now pay later for a rMBP 13, and pay off in full when I get maintenance grant and loan through. ...

It would be nice to have all my college notes typed up instead of hand written all the time... my handwriting is awful ... and would do my credit rating good...

What do you think, but now or wait til August time?

Might as well wait if you can.

But there are just as many germs or whatever on your phone as there are on computer lab keyboards.

1iam5mith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2013
UK
Might as well wait if you can.

But there are just as many germs or whatever on your phone as there are on computer lab keyboards.

Perhaps, but my germs verses theirs.... I know I wash my hands often and after going to the bathroom, I can't say the same for others. ..

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Perhaps, but my germs verses theirs.... I know I wash my hands often and after going to the bathroom, I can't say the same for others. ..

Do you touch anything else in the world? Because those same germs are present. You can't really avoid it.

Do you use hand dryers? Tons of germs and bacteria living in those.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
…..But there are just as many germs or whatever on your phone as there are on computer lab keyboards.

Do you touch anything else in the world? Because those same germs are present. You can't really avoid it.
Do you use hand dryers? Tons of germs and bacteria living in those.

OCD has a myriad of different manifestations, and many of these appear to be caused by a serotonin imbalance in the brain, so arguing with an OCD sufferer about the apparent inconsistencies of their (perceived) flawed logic is not only inconsiderate towards them, but ineffective and totally missing the point.

To the OP, since you're not in a hurry, you have nothing to lose by waiting six months. Best of Luck!

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
Absolutely wait. By August there will likely be updates to the MBP range, almost certainly a MBA retina, and in all likelihood better prices and back-to-school discounts.

OCD is nothing to do with how clean or germ-free things are, so no point going on to OP about hand dryers and phones. It's perception that's the issue. I wouldn't want anyone else using my computer either (for different reasons, but same end result).

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
I would wait if you don't need one right now as there will be updates and if you live near an apple store you can get what you want same-day anyway (unless it's just been released).

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
OCD has a myriad of different manifestations, and many of these appear to be caused by a serotonin imbalance in the brain, so arguing with an OCD sufferer about the apparent inconsistencies of their (perceived) flawed logic is not only inconsiderate towards them, but ineffective and totally missing the point.

To the OP, since you're not in a hurry, you have nothing to lose by waiting six months. Best of Luck!

Yeah...I realized that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.