Should I purchase a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SteveBachochin, Jan 21, 2011.

1. SteveBachochin macrumors newbie

I have been using the iPhone and iPad since their release and have been impressed with the quality and craftsmanship and engineering of these products.
    I am a very technical and have been a developer on the Microsoft side for over 20 years. I am a guild leader (kin) in Lord of the rings Online. I build my own PCs and have cooled them with water and mineral oil.
    Because of the Apple HALO effect, I am considering getting the base model Quad Core Mac Pro. I have no problems running Windows but am tired of the Blotware. Linux is not there yet.
    Why a MP? Upgradeability, I can use a power ATI 5870 card, use my existing 30 in monitor.
    The MP should last me for a number of years. I can also start developing cool Apps.
    Issues...
    MP are twice as expensive as PCs. But I do love Apple products, OSX.
    I am I nutz ?

2. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

You are not "nutz". The combination of OS X with the capability to upgrade various parts of the computer is worth quite a bit. If you don't actually need the latest/greatest, consider getting an older model. I waited until they released the 2009 models, then decided the 2008 version better suited my needs (and bank account). I found a good deal on a 2008 model at B&H. I notice that B&H still has a 2009 in stock:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/608729-REG/Apple_MB871LL_A_Mac_Pro_Desktop_Computer.html

3. SteveBachochin thread starter macrumors newbie

I did consider buying the older 2009 MP model... But for the 1Q 2009 compared to the Aug 2010 MP. so many performance improvements have been made. Wow, why does Apple need to keep their hardware prices so hi?

I have been debugging software for so long, a break is needed when I get home. Finally a seamless integration with my iPad/iPhone.( is this the case?)
    My challenge is to do everything without the need of a Windoz license. I guess I can play LOTRO using either Crossover or WINE. The ATI 5870 is a really strong gaming card!

4. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

I haven't followed the MacPro that closely since I bought mine, but it was my understanding that there aren't many differences between the 2009 and 2010 models. I was under the impression it was just a bit of a speed bump.

When the 2009 MacPro came out, the prices surprised everyone. History and CPU prices made it look like they would have an 8-core 2.66 GHz model for $2999. Instead, they had the 8-core 2.26 GHz model for $3299. It was a shocking increase in prices, with lower performing CPUs than expected. It was a big part of why I went with the 2008 model.

I would recommend doing some research to see if the advances between 2009 and 2010 are really all that big. If they are, then you're stuck; if they're not, maybe the 2009 model is the way to go.

5. Evil Spoonman macrumors 6502

Yes, it is just a speed bump/minor revisions. Apple opened up the memory path a bit, now allows for 1333MHz memory, even though the X5550 and X5570 supported that last generation. More/smaller cores (Gulftown, hexcore, 32nm). Default built-on Airport, and standard boot into K64. Gulftown is just a Gainstown shrink anyways. I believe it is possible to stick Intel X5670 and similar chips in a 2009 Mac Pro, they are all LGA-1366.

Really the 2008 model would probably do fine. The Mac Pro sort of approaches that, "if you aren't sure you need it, you don't need it" point. It is a workstation class computer and priced for that market. The 2009 model is definitely sufficient, agreed.

6. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Yes, you can do everything without a Windows license. But then you better go and buy an Xbox 360 and/or a PS3. You're a gamer, and OS X alone with crutches like Crossover and Wine will NOT make you happy.

You won't hear me say anything against the Apple hardware. The guys in Cupertino design marvelous machines. And they work great with Windows and Linux, too.

If you want to make the move away from Windows, and if you are willing to accept crutches like CrossOver and Wine, then why aren't you moving to Linux? The switch actually is THE SAME, it's just CHEAPER and eventually, Linux is a much more powerful solution than OS X. Oh, and Wine and CrossOver run much better on Linux than they do on OS X. Actually, the OS X ports are rather lousy and perform very poorly (been there, tried it, dumped it and installed Win7 instead).

By moving to Linux, you could still use Apple hardware but without getting locked into Apple's restricted software ecosystem. It doesn't make much sense to exchange one dictator with the other, really.

And in my book, Ubuntu 10.10 or the latest releases of Linux Mint are as much there as OS X Snow Leopard. Only less bloated, much faster and more robust. And without any license fees or restrictions.

Or why again did you want to move away from Windows? Surely not to spend thousands on new software licenses for OS X only to be more restricted in what you can do than you'd be on Windows.

7. Evil Spoonman macrumors 6502

Not to be mean, but I think your book is a fantasy book.

8. SteveBachochin thread starter macrumors newbie

It doesn't make much sense to exchange one dictator with the other....Agee but since MS founder Bill retired, MS is slowly wasting away. Apple likes control, but they got bleeding edge vision. Even my wife feels comfortable using an iPad.

Xbox = MS. I restrict my gaming to the MMO Lord of the Rings Online.
    Linux / Ubuntu is no where as polished as OSX
    Main reason for moving to OSX is software/polished OS
    Reason for getting Mac pro, upgradability.

9. SteveBachochin thread starter macrumors newbie

Very good point! Price definitely more reasonable.

10. cjoy macrumors member

if there is no urge to buy a system now, I'd wait another 10-12 months.
    the next rendition of mac pros is expected to be a major upgrade.

as you already pointed out yourself, MPs are more than twice as expensive as a custom built dosbox with equal performance... so if your primary use for the system is gaming (for which you'd boot in windows anyway), I'd personally stay away from the mac.

that said, I just switched to a mac pro and it is a real beauty...
    you'll have to answer for yourself if you'll spend more time running windows on overpriced hardware or enjoying native OS X. If windows will be your primary OS, save the cash you'd spent on a MP and get yourself a decent gaming rig AND a mac mini or iMac.

11. gpzjock macrumors 6502a

Take a good look at an iMac first.

If you already love the small form factor Apple products maybe you should consider the multiple benefits of an iMac. Cheaper than a Mac Pro, gorgeous screen, excellent form factor and fixed hardware configuration purpose built for easy use. They are the ultimate Mac OS X primer for the new user, simple and direct access to a new and unfamiliar OS.
    If you like the iMac but outstrip its capabilities they are eminently saleable and if you buy 2nd hand don't lose much value over time.
    This period will let you save up for a Mac Pro while Apple put in the development in a Sandybridge monster that will justify its monstrous price tag... hopefully. :eek:

Just my 2 cents.

12. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

If you like this machine, if you think you could use it and afford it -- then just go for it, you'll never regret your decision. I agree with the point the iMac is a great machine too, but as the OP thinks about the upgradability, iMac wouldn't be the right choice (although I also own iMac and I do love it a lot, MP is beyond competition, and upgrading iMac by yourself is a little disaster).

13. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

+1 - I love my Mac Pro, (and moved from a combo of my iMac and my G4/450 as my main desktop Mac(s), as my Mac Pro is upgradeable and will hopefully run Final Cut Pro until 2020 (My G4 managed 1999 - 2010 for Editing use, so Im hopeful my Pro can do similar) - If you can afford it get a Mac Pro, it will last you 3 times as long as an iMac.

14. fabriciom macrumors 6502

If money is not an issue go for it. Other wise if you dont NEED one spend the money on something else.

15. SteveBachochin thread starter macrumors newbie

hum.....

Hackintosh = too many unknown variables. ( like making a Superbeetle look like a Porsche)
    iMac - nice for the casual user. But I need some upgradability without voiding the warranty. ATI 5870 is really a great card. MP is quieter and has better heat management.
    MP 2009 vs 2010 ... Cost of updating OSX Snow Leopard/iLife? 2009 stuff that is 2 years old. I need to really under the specks better.

16. onecajun macrumors newbie

to buy or not to buy

I would say buy one...its a decent investment and resale values are good too. I would say if you buy once you will buy again.

17. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

The 2009 and the 2010 are similar, the 2009 should ship with 10.6, so the only thing will be iLife. If you get a refurb from Apple it will likely have iLife '11 included (My Mac Pro shipped with a iLife '11 Drop in DVD included).

18. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

"Newer" 2009 machines (August 28 2009 and above) shipped with 10.6. But "older" 2009 machines prior to that came with 10.5. But, the 10.6 upgrade is only $29 through Apple. iLife '11 is $49 through the App Store. So worst case scenario, that's only $78 worth of software upgrades.

And as said before, Apple generally includes "CPU drop-in" discs for the latest version of iLife with refurbished or EOL (end of life) machines purchased from them. My 2008 Mac Pro was purchased EOL (I bought it when the 2009 models first shipped) and it while it came preinstalled with iLife '08, a drop-in DVD for iLife '09 came in the box.

19. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

20. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

If you can afford it, I highly recommend the Mac Pro as a platform.

I bought mine in 2006, and it still feels fast 4+ years later. And over the years I've upgraded hard drives, memory and video cards, easy-peasy.

It's a great enthusiast machine. Pricey, but if you're an enthusiast and love to use awesome computers, it's worth the money. I look at the problems people so often have with home-builds and Windows and am glad I don't have to deal with any of it.

21. SteveBachochin thread starter macrumors newbie

After careful consideration, I took your advice and got the B&H 2009 MP. I sat with a business owner on the plane today; he is converting his business to Mac due to getting an iPad as a gift. So at the hotel, I made the order online using my 3G iPad.

22. SteveBachochin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your advice.

Thank you all for your advice.

23. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen