Should I Purchase a Screen Protector for my Ipod Touch 2G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by gsugators, Sep 16, 2008.

1. gsugators macrumors member

Ok, I already have the new Belkin Sonic Wave silicon case. I really like it so far. Should I also get a screen protector too? Which ones are good and how easy are they to put on? Do they leave any residue on your screen. I would appreciate your help guys. Thanks.

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

The screen is glass and doesn't really need protection, unless you have carbide bits, or diamonds in your pocket. With that said, I run a screen protector (forget which brand) but mostly for the anti glare qualities it provides.

Like most any glass, any adhesive that may stay behind, can be easily removed with anything from Windex to Goo-Gone.

[​IMG]

3. gsugators thread starter macrumors member

So which brands are good? I see different protectors (for the 3G iPhone) going really cheap right now. I am assuming the 3G iPhone screen protectors should fit the new 2G iPod touch perfectly.

4. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

noooo! don't get the iphone 3g ones. get one from bodyguardz

5. jrok18 macrumors regular

Should i buy the Power Support Anti-Glare Film Set for iPod touch . Does it fit the 2g? What about the new wifi where its place at on the 2g wouldn't it cover it?

6. radpanic macrumors member

i have owned/used 2 iPhones and 3 iPod Touches(crazy, I know) and I have never seen even one tiny scratch on any of the screens. I think your completely safe without one. IMHO

7. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

You dont need a screen protector, they dont do anything. Its glass. Its harder than anything you have in your pocket, including metal. Science will not allow your screen to get scratched from normal use. Youd have to put a lot of pressure from a sharp hard object or grind it against rocks for it to scratch, a plastic sticker isnt going to help protect the glass from something like that.

8. kman101 macrumors newbie

I totally agree with this. I've had my touch for almost a year (December) and the only scratches that I've even seen on it is on the shiny back. And I use this thing a lot. You will almost NEVER find me without it in my pocket. So, no, I really don't think you need a screen protector. And don't worry about dropping it. I've done that many times, and it still works like its brand new. Seriously, the thing is like indestructable.

9. Suncusser macrumors member

I got the thicker plastic protector that they sell at the Apple store. It apparently binds with static and not adhesive so it can be pulled off without a residue. I was rollerblading with my touch in my pocket and I went down on gravel (OK, I'm not as good at as I should be). The plastic was gouged and there is a nick in the bezel next to the screen but the screen survived. So I"m glad I had one.

10. cebrew macrumors newbie

I bought the anti-glare version from my local Apple store. I would highly recommend it. The anti-glare front piece still looks like it did when I bought it, the back piece which is not anti-glare has not held up nearly as well. But it's the back, who cares.

My glass coffee table has plenty of scratches on it...

11. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I own a number of aquariums and know first hand that metal can quite easily scratch glass. In-face a heck of a lot of things can, you'd be surprised, and it doesn't need much effort.

I have a minor scratch on my 3G iPhone screen, and I have a lot of minor scratches on my glass desk (presumably from watches, keys etc).

AppleMatt

12. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Not all glass is created equal.

Like different kinds of metal, individual types of glass have their own respective hardness levels. Much of this hardness also depends on the minerals used, and microstructural orientation of those and other particles within the glass (or added) to give the glass it's desired properties. In addition to the specific minerals, the speed at which the components are heated, cooled, and what type of gasses are present, can have effects on that glasses physical properties in the finished product.

Does the glass need to be resistant to thermal shock, physical shock, high pressure, high temperature? Changing the variables above (and a few others) can have effects on the desired end product.

I can't honestly say this with 100% certainty, however I assume that the glass in the iPod touch and iPhone is much harder than the type used in your aquarium.

Regards,

[​IMG]