Should I purchase AppleCare with the iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Leoste716, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Leoste716 macrumors newbie

Leoste716

I posted the other day that I'm looking into purchasing an iPad 2. Because I financed my MacBook Pro through Barclay, paid it off in 6 months & closed the card, I have to wait to get my "new card" in the mail before I can get the iPad. Anyway, sometime this week I'll be pretty much running to the Apple store to get my new baby. I don't have AppleCare for my MacBook Pro or my iPhone4... should I even bother? What are the pros & cons of it?

2. bobsax macrumors member

bobsax

First it's $79
    You math guys can do the percentage of the price but if you buy the $500 iPad it seems like a high%.

However , it's really nice to be able to call at anytime for the whole 3 years with any question no matter how stupid and if it's anything like the ipod touch problems will arise after 3 months.

It may be too late for you but if you have any way to pay as a student or teacher the AppleCare price is much lower. Not sure how much though, maybe someone else can look it up.

check it out;
    I'm a newbie that joined in 2008

3. TuiSong, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

TuiSong macrumors regular

Here in New Zealand the applecare price is $129 regardless of whether you are buying full price or through the education store. The price of the iPad isn't any cheaper via education discount either. Do they discount on iPads via education store in the US?

Also the applecare is for only two years from the purchase date, meaning you're only extending the cover by one year for nearly 20% of the purchase price. It seems rather steep when you consider that anyone who lives within reach of an apple store seems to get replacements on their stuff regardless of whether they have applecare plan or not

4. mitjmac macrumors newbie

Yes and no. iPads are excluded from discounts on the Apple store, but if you contact the Mac sales rep for the school, you can get discounted iPads from time to time. When the iPad 2 was released educators were able to purchase original iPads, size varied and all were WiFi only for $150 - 400. Other than that there isn't a discount for iPads or AppleCare.

5. bobsax macrumors member

bobsax

I went to the Education Store and the prices were the same so Mitjmac appears to be correct.
    This page has a lengthy discussion on the pro's and con's.
    http://rhftech.com/blog/2010/04/should-you-buy-applecare-for-your-ipad/
    in summery it's considered a bad idea.

6. RayK macrumors 6502

First AppleCare for the iPad is only for two years from the original purchase date. Not sure if I could recommend it as it does not cover accidental. Not that any flavor of AppleCare does this, but it's a bit steep I think.

7. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

8. TuiSong macrumors regular

I do! our first iPad had an accident. I finally got a replacement iPad 2 and wouldn't even take it out of the box until the otter box defender case arrived in the mail the following day. I hate how bulky it makes the iPad feel, but with Hubby taking it to work most days it's really not worth the tears of potentially losing a second iPad.

edited because wtf?? how does this silly auto correct manage to replace mail with male

9. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Apple Care doesn't cover accidents.

10. TuiSong macrumors regular

which is why the otter box case feels like a better investment than the applecare! :cool:

11. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

AppleCare+ will cover accidental damage. I dont know if there is a cost differential between AppleCare and AppleCare+

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There is, but do they have AC+ for the iPad? They should. That $99 warranty is pretty nice. The price will be a distant memory if your device falls and they just want $49 out of you. I like the plan.

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Totally subjective. There's no should or shouldn't. It's pretty much like any other extended warranty: a waste if you don't use it but incredibly useful if you do need it. Your call to make.

14. bobsax macrumors member

bobsax

Is this really true?

So what's to keep people from dropping their iPad on purpose after the iPad 3 comes out?
    Or would they get a refurb 2?

What if it's the tail end of the contract and it's dropped? There wouldn't be any 2's around.

It sounds like an incredible deal if it's really ....
    "Buy an iPad with AppleCarePlus and in two years you get a new one for $50".