Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amyylouise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I am planning on buying a MacBook Pro and I intend on immediately upgrading the memory and hard drive. By doing these upgrades myself, I will save a significant amount of money than if I choose the top of the line specifications when I am ordering my MacBook Pro.

I know AppleCare will not support these upgrades, so is there really any point in purchasing it? What other components of the MacBook Pro does AppleCare support? Is it worth the extra $379 if it won't cover the new RAM and SSD I install?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
If you are going to open it up, then I'd say don't bother. It is useful for newbies because they get the telephone support help, but I'm guessing if you are capable of performing surgery, a newbie you are not....:D

shootist

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2011
There are a lot of other components in a MBP besides the RAM and the HDD.

Optical drive, screen, keyboard, WiFi card, battery, trackpad, power board and adapter, fans, and last but certainly not least the motherboard and all the components that are soldered to the motherboard, none of which can be changed without changing the complete motherboard.

Not to mention the 3 years of phone support.

If you can afford a new Mac you can afford Applecare and IMHO it is well worth the cost.

iforbes

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
Buy your MacBook Pro from B&H Photo Video and you can get AppleCare for ~$95 (for the 13" MacBook Pro...not sure about 15" or 17")...no brainer.

Last edited:

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Is there no form of consumer protection in North America? I mean, the Apple Care seems to be nothing but a waste of money in the EU...

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Is there no form of consumer protection in North America? I mean, the Apple Care seems to be nothing but a waste of money in the EU...

Not really, that is why there is the ability to buy Apple Care (extended warranties). Our laws don't really protect the consumer like yours do.

Last edited:

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Not really, that is why there is the ability to buy Apple Care (extended warranties). Our laws don't really protect the consumer like yours do.
Wow, that really sucks for you guys. So odd it's such a huge difference between North America and the EU on this point.

Well, I mean we do have Apple Care as well, alongside a whole bunch of other unnecessary additional insurances that are only there to be a profit for the companies and resellers.

Good luck using that EU warranty at an Apple store.
Why would Apple be above the law in Europe?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I am planning on buying a MacBook Pro and I intend on immediately upgrading the memory and hard drive. By doing these upgrades myself, I will save a significant amount of money than if I choose the top of the line specifications when I am ordering my MacBook Pro.

I know AppleCare will not support these upgrades, so is there really any point in purchasing it?
Upgrading RAM or hard drive does not void AppleCare or your warranty, unless you damage something in the process, even though AppleCare will not cover the upgraded items. Apple even gives instructions on how to do so in the User Guide for your Mac.

AppleCare
AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display

• You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
  • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
  • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
    It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
  • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
  • AppleCare+, which provides some coverage for accidental damage, is only available for the iPhone and iPad, not for Apple computers.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
  • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.

As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
its no different than any extended warranty

I always ask my self when deciding to by extended warranty, "if this item dies after the first year(assuming what i buy comes with a 1 year warranty)" can i afford to just buy another one. Since the Mac holds its value pretty good and replacement would be 2K this is one of those times I will get extended warranty.

interrobang

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2011
I always ask my self when deciding to by extended warranty, "if this item dies after the first year(assuming what i buy comes with a 1 year warranty)" can i afford to just buy another one.
You should be asking, "Can I afford to just repair it? How much would that cost me?"

If its a display or logic board, it would likely cost more than AppleCare.

Kazahma

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Just buy the AppleCare. You're covered for 3 more years. It's worth it.

Your fancy little MBP with the i7 decides to fry? Replaced. Can't really beat that.

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Yes you should. My Mac's USB ports broke down just a few days after my 1 year. Fortunately I have AppleCare and I've made an appointment to change my logic board. I'd say AppleCare has just made back more than its worth to me now :)

RRoku702

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2011
Kailua

I know AppleCare will not support these upgrades, so is there really any point in purchasing it? What other components of the MacBook Pro does AppleCare support? Is it worth the extra $379 if it won't cover the new RAM and SSD I install?

Honestly I would purchase a MBP from Best Buy. There warranty is separate from Apple but Best Buy warranty is a lot more worth it. To me anyway. Just a food for thought.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario

iforbes

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
Exactly - this is what I had paid previously - I had just checked the website again. I doubt the $95 is legit. But if it is - let me know how :)
When you put the 13" in your cart, you will see a little box that says Add AppleCare protection plan for $95.00.

And it's legit...i just purchased both in December.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-12 at 11.41.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-12 at 11.41.24 AM.png
    107.6 KB · Views: 111

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
When you put the 13" in your cart, you will see a little box that says Add AppleCare protection plan for $95.00.

And it's legit...i just purchased both in December.

Awesome - I had heard when you purchase a MBP from B&H they give an even sweeter deal on AppleCare. Rereading your post I realize you said buy MBP and get AppleCare for $95 :)

Thanks for the info.

jogl

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2011
Guys,

Sorry to jump on this thread but as we're on topic...
I bought my macbook pro on 05/03/11 and just realised i've missed the boat for buying apple care.

I ordered the laptop on the above date, but didn't receive it for around 2 weeks after that date so essentially the warranty should be from the date i turned it on?

Do you think I could still get applecare?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.