Should I Push for a Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jonnylink, May 27, 2009.

1. jonnylink macrumors 6502

The short version:

I got a MBP in July of 2006.

About 6 months later I nearly burnt my hand while I was working, it was then I noticed the power cord was melting where it connects to the computer (really melting— the plastic had melted away exposing the wires). The adapter was, of course, replaced.

A year later my battery stopped working. I got that replaced.

Now the battery is fine, but the computer refuses to charge it.

My completely non-technical backed theory is that there is damage to the unit from the first instance. But I don't know how far that damage would go.

The MPB warranty runs out in July.

Thoughts?

2. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

its worth a try, call support and explain ur problem....who knows, you might get lucky

3. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

How do you know the battery is fine? The standard warranty is long expired but if you have AppleCare I'm not sure what the question is.

If you are under AppleCare coverage and it is broken then get it fixed.

4. jonnylink thread starter macrumors 6502

I do have Applecare, until July.
    The battery was replaced already. (I forgot to put that in, sorry)

I'm talking about replacing the entire computer.

5. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Send it into AppleCare - I doubt they will replace the computer until you are on our 4th repair (excluding the battery replacement).

Send it in.

6. cruelmemory macrumors member

Take it to the Apple Store as they have Adapter/battery testers there and will be able to pinpoint the issue with your unit.

The original power adapters had problems and Apple has taken care of them whenever they have a problem.

Depending on the FCC of the battery, it may be a problem with the battery. Remember, Sony won't replace the battery in your remote for free when they go dead.

Def. worth a trip to figure out the issue.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You can try, but I doubt they'll give you a replacement. Right now you don't know what the problem is neither does Apple so they won't be giving you a replacement with that alone. You'll probably get your logic board replaced, from there, you'll have to wait and see.