The short version: I got a MBP in July of 2006. About 6 months later I nearly burnt my hand while I was working, it was then I noticed the power cord was melting where it connects to the computer (really melting— the plastic had melted away exposing the wires). The adapter was, of course, replaced. A year later my battery stopped working. I got that replaced. Now the battery is fine, but the computer refuses to charge it. My completely non-technical backed theory is that there is damage to the unit from the first instance. But I don't know how far that damage would go. The MPB warranty runs out in July. Thoughts?