Should I put iOS 4.3 Beta on my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BenDP, Jan 20, 2011.

1. BenDP macrumors newbie

Hey

Now I know it's not recommended by Apple, but it might be fun :p I'm a (new) registered Apple developer and I'm trying to decide if I should run iOS 4.3 Beta on my iPhone. It would be used for testing but also just to have a fun new thing on my iPhone that my friends can't have LOL!

Is this a really bad idea? Does it have features that just don't work and/or screw up the device?

Thanks for advice!

2. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

You know what they say about asking "What's the price of that exotic car?"

Yeah. That.

3. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I would agree with the above poster. Unless you are someone who enjoys solving code problems etc I would wait until it comes out.

4. jas1973 macrumors 6502

i have it on my iphone 4.3 beta 2. there isn't much of a change to bother with it. but i haven't noticed any serious bugs that disrupt my overall usage of the phone.

only cool feature i like is if you install the apple tv up date you can airplay videos take with your iphone straight from your iphone to your apple tv

5. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Well, if you don't mind bugs such as apps crashing, text-display problems etc.

OP, did you sign up just to gain access to the beta, or to actually develop and submit apps?

6. tonyunreal macrumors regular

tonyunreal

Personally I found 4.3 beta to be very stable on my iPhone 3GS, there's a glitch that you can't update apps on your phone, but everything else seemed to be working fine.

If you don't have important business call to make on the phone, I say go for it, if anything goes wrong you can still plug it into iTunes and restore from an earlier backup.

7. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Unless you're a developer, no.

I will never understand why regular people who buy access to the dev program only for pre-release software feel the need to pay for beta updates. You'll get a final version in just a few weeks. And it would works better.

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I have the 4.3 beta 2 on both my iPad and iPhone 3GS. I have not found any problems thus far. I really enjoy being able to choose what my switch will do; mute or rotation lock.

Truth is, I purchased a developer account but not because I write apps but rather because I use my iPad heavily and the developer version of OS 4 was out quite a bit before the release date. Basically, $99 a year is a small price to pay for being able to access the forums and the newest OS.

9. jas1973 macrumors 6502

i got a pandora update today on 4.3 beta 2 on iphone 4

10. budman1961 macrumors regular

I am a dev, my experience tells me that if you truly depend on your device as your sole means of contact, then wait. Or be like most everyone else, throw it on, and post on the boards how pissed-off you are at Apple for bringing out updates that arent perfect.

There's my 2 cents, im running it and its pretty good!:D

11. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

LOL. :D That is the best part about the new beta releases is listening to the endless parade of complaint threads. That and the occasional "My iPhone want work anymore" thread.

12. Vancelot macrumors newbie

13. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Speaking of patience, I was wondering if people on 4.3b2 are getting a long pause after tapping on General under Settings. Mine takes a good 5-6 seconds before it actually goes into that section. Kinda drives me nuts, since I go there to toggle Bluetooth and call forwarding and whatnot.

I'm still on 4.2.1 and considering the jump if it resolves it.

14. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Nope.

15. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

+1

I do it and expect to live with challenges. That's part of the deal. For 4.3b2, it's no Skype, crashes out the wazoo of other apps (Apple and 3rd party), and a frustrating return of the ipod-no-likey-to-play-random bug from 4.2 betas.

Still, if you're willing to live with these issues, it's actually very good as betas go.