Should I re-consolidate my iTunes library to my external HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lloydh, Nov 2, 2008.

1. lloydh macrumors member

Hi,

I have a large iTunes library which I manually moved to an external HD about 2 years ago.

Back then I did this by literally moving the contents of my "Music" folder to the HD, then launching iTunes while holding the alt/option key and pointing iTunes at the library on the HD.

Since then I have learned about the feature of iTunes to change the location where music is stored, then consolidate your library so that the library files are stored locally and only the music resides on the external HD.

Are there advantages to this setup? I am thinking in terms of speed and what happens if you launch iTunes without the external HD attached...

I ask now as I have just bought a new MBP with ~250GB free which would allow me to copy my music back to the internal HD then move it back the "proper way".

Thanks in advance,

Lloyd

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I would consolidate all the music in one file, ie, make sure it is all together and no missing songs. Once done, make a backup of it for storage. I do a similar one myself, so I don't risk loosing any files by accident. As to putting the music on a new computer, the easiest way I found, is literally moving the iTunes folder from the back up, onto the new comp and dropping it into the music folder. That way playlists and music match up, and no sorting it back to play lists.

3. lloydh thread starter macrumors member

Thanks iMac-Knight. My iTunes library is, in its current state, already very organised as all of my music resides within the iTunes-managed "iTunes Music" folder on my external HD. Additionally, as I type, a backup of my library is underway.

In an attempt to clarify the paradigm shift that I am considering, I have created a diagram.

Essentially I am still interested in the benefits and disadvantages of either arrangement.

Thanks,

Lloyd

Attached Files:

4. elvtnedge macrumors regular

I did the same thing last night with my new MBP. I just copied the itunes folder from my external to the desktop. Dragged the whole itunes folder to the itunes icon and everything started copying over. When it was done I deleted the folder from the desktop.

dont know if this was the most efficient way.

5. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I've done the "Import" method, but in so doing, I have to reset the music back into every playlist by hand. The drag and drop method saved me hours of work.

6. tejaykay macrumors 6502

tejaykay

Same dilemma. Issue over keeping Meta Data.

Hey, I'm awaiting the delivery of a MBP.

I have the same issue with transferring across my library from the external hard drive to the local drive of the MBP. However, the biggest issue I have is keeping all of the meta data intact. This is over two year's worth of play counts, playlists etc... so it's fairly important to me.

What I think I should do.

When I receive the new MBP, I will use the migration assistant to import all the previous local data and settings via time machine. My understanding then is that I can open iTunes and it'll have all the appropriate settings (as copied from my old machine). I will then just go to the advanced settings in the preferences and choose a new folder for my library in the local drive music folder. I'll then hit consolidate button and it'll copy all of my music from the external drive to the local whilst keeping the meta data. Am I right?!?

I've read countless articles but there doesn't seem to be one that is specific to this situation. If anyone knows of one can they point me to it?

7. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

As I posted, connect the external drive, find the itunes folder drag and drop it in your Music folder, wait till its transfered, then open itunes. Worked for me :D

8. tejaykay macrumors 6502

tejaykay

But surely all the metadata points to the original directory on the external device?

Before coming across that hurdle, surely iTunes will still think all your music is still store on the external drive. Was your metadata file also stored on the external drive, as mine is not.

Thanks again.:)

9. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

You can tell it where the library is located. And changing that is easy in preferences.

10. teetosh macrumors newbie

iTunes, Leopard 10.5.8 and Power PC Conflicts

I have a non Intel Power PC, upgraded to Leopard 10.5.8 with the latest iTunes even went as far as buying a new hard drive in hopes of stopping iTunes from constantly "hanging" and displaying the multi colored ball of doom every time I try to play a tune or rename a selection.

Even tho' I have a new drive and pointed iTunes to it as the new location for iTunes and have been manually installing tunes I still get the same "hang" or freeze/spinning ball.

Has anybody experienced conflicts with Power PC G5 dual 2.0, iTunes and Firewire busses. I have wasted weeks trying to figure this out.

HELP!

Teetosh

11. nutsnbolts macrumors 6502

The way I have mine setup is that my library is on the external hard drive, my music is on the external hard drive, pretty much everything is on my external hard drive.

I have my music that is imported into itunes on the external hard drive and an archive of all my music on the external hard drive under "Archived Music"

Anytime I want specific songs/albums/artists from my Archived Music, I would just go in there and drag and drop into itunes.

If I have to reformat my machines, it's ok.

I will just re-map the drive and hold down shift then click on iTunes and link back to the library and I'm good to go.

Do you have an iPhone. It's ok. I can sync everything back to normal in a matter of few minutes because my library is always the same but I don't have all my music on my iPhone or Touch due to space limitation but yeah that's about right.